Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the underhood area disassembled for engine detailing and am considering trying to add a power brake booster to my manual drum brakes. Can this be done without major modification while still retaining the factory appearance? I am not converting to dics so I do not want to make any changes to wheels or suspension. I would also like to retain factory authenticity. Can it be done and what parts do I need? Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I'm not sure where I saw it, but there's a brake booster that you can mount wherever you want and you just run a vacuum line to it, along with a fluid feed line and fluid return line. Seems like it may have been in a Dennis Carpenter catalog (vintage Ford parts) or something similar. If I run across it again I'll let you know. Good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sure it can be done. There were power drum brakes available before 66. My father has a 62 Galaxie that he bought new with power drums. Not sure what parts you will need besides the booster. Possibly a different pedal assembly, but again I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can help more. I wouldn't mind doing that to my Mach 1.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I added power to my drum set up. You need the bracket that spaces the booster a few inches from the firewall and the bell crank. I had to pay $100 ten years ago for a used one from a local rip-off Mustang restoration shop. Or you could do the Mustang Steve set up which looks like it would have been original from the factory:

http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts