Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I violated my #1 Rule AGAIN! I let someone else work on my car. You guys probably don't remember but a few weeks back the return hose on my power steering pump started leaking like a sieve. I got that fixed, but then the P/S pump was whining like a banshee every time I turned the wheel. It always made some noise (at least for the 5 years I've owned the car), but this was much worse.

So, Stanger53 busted his tail and got me the stuff I needed to rebuild it. My problem was that I don't have the correct tool to remove the pulley or put it back on. SO, I called my local autoparts stores and asked if they rented the tool. "NO".

Then I called a mechanic buddy and talked to him about it. He owns a garage, and I know this was kind of piddly for him. They fix cars, they don't take off pulleys and put on pulleys. I really didn't want to burn a favor over this...so I SCREWED UP.

I asked him to use the parts Stanger53 had sent me and rebuild my pump. He said no problem, drop it off in the morning and he'd have it ready by evening for me to put back on the car. What could be easier than that?

So, I pulled it Tuesday night, boxed it up with the parts and directions and dropped it off bright and early Wednesday morning. And I waited all day Wednesday. And I waited all day Thursday. And I called up my buddy this morning...and he hasn't touched it yet. Further more he tells me he can't possibly have anyone look at it until Monday (Excuse #7...Mechanics all have the flu).

How many fricken (and I don't mean "fricken" here...I mean the real word) times do I have to be taught this lesson??? Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever let someone else work on your car? I feel stupid...and contagious./forums/images/icons/mad.gif Guess I'm just lucky I didn't catch "mechanic's flu" when I was in his shop./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Which brings me back to my original question. The church is having services in one of the shelters at a state park nearby and SWMBO was planning on me driving the family up in the mustang. If I tie the hoses up out of the way, can I drive it OK without powersteering without hurting anything? It's obviously critical that I make it to church on Sunday. I need to ask a lot of forgiveness for:

1. Breaking the 11th commandment...Thou shalt not let another man fix thy mustang. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Using the word "fricken" earlier in this post./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Phil

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Seems to me it will be frickin' (and I only mean frickin') hard to drive the car. Gets awful tight without the pump a pumpin'. Good arm and shoulder workout though!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You won't 'hurt' anything persay. Just make sure the car is always moving when you steer, otherwise your arms are gonna be REAL sore becasue the ratio will be all wrong for manual steering. And if you put one of those smaller sporty wheels on for steering its gonna be even worse.

·
4,129 Posts
IMHO you can drive your Mustang without the "power assist" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif However you need to do more than "just tie up the hoses" that is unless you want fluid everwhere. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The best thing would be to have the hoses connected to the PS pump and the belt off of the pump. But since your pump is lying on a frillin (I prefer the word frill as used in the SciFi show Farscape) workbench with the flu /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif you will need a plan B. Connect the 2 hoses together somehow, but the pressure line may be a problem. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Good luck. fd

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm just thinking that with your luck..do havee good or bad??...Figure on your steering wheel getting some good cracks at the base, it's not used to be pulled on like you're going to do without the P/S. I wouldn't be going thru all the trouble just to be "cool" at the church drive-in...

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
That's why I took that FRICKEN powersteering BS off my car! I don't miss it for a minute. It's not that bad to drive with the 16:1 box and no assist. At least that's my $.02.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I drove mine without a pump for about 2 years when I was a poor college student. Drives about like a car with manual steering.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I will agree with the previous 4 or so posts. I switched to manual and have not regretted it since. It is not that hard to steer with the power steering box still in there, and you have a really good feel for the road. What's more, you don't have fluid spilling on everything underneath your car.

Dave

·
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,

It'll have to get A LOT worse before I ditch the power steering. My car is like Steve Austin. I try to build it better, stronger, faster...(Music comes in here IIRC).

Anyhoo...I've gone to a lot of trouble and $ to keep all of my "original" options. I don't mean my car is original by any stretch, but I haven't chucked anything yet. I saw something in one of my magazines from some Mustang salesman (what's that big place that just sells mustangs?) He said power steering was a highly sought after option that could add as much as $1000 to the value of your car...Not that I'd ever sell my car...but something to bear in mind.

Anyway...when you guys say "I converted to manual". What exactly do you mean? Specifically do you:

Change the center link?
Change the idler and pitman arms?
Change the steering box?

Or...do you just chuck the pump, hoses, ram cylinder, and mounting brackets and call it done?

Phil

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
However the valve which controls the power piston was not made to handle the full brunt of what you are going to put in it. It was not made to steer the car. When you move the wheel it exposes a hole which allows P/S fluid to go to the cylinder. When the linkage moves enough to match where your wheel is it is covered again and the assist stops. The P/S to manual adapter you see in the catalogs eliminates the valve and makes a solid connection.

When one side fails you can have assist going right but not left. You have to experience this to believe it!

Anyway it will be a little sloppier than a manual. But be carefull.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Phil,
Your problem isn't the PS system, which IME I've found to be very reliable, it's your choice of mechanics...

FWIW, when I went through the Eaton pump in the D-coder, it took all of a half-hour. I even had the shaft seal in stock (standard .750" shaft) and made a reservoir gasket from some material I had laying around. The pump itself looked like the day is was built. Problem which called for removal was the reservoir leaking externally. Buttoned it up, put it back on and that was the end of that...that was in 1993...haven't had a bit of trouble with it or the rest of the PS system since. I replaced the cylinder hoses as a maintenance item back then but nothing else. Still has the same fluid in it too..

Fire the mechanic...*G*

I recall the pulley on my pump was a light interferance fit with a 1/8" woodruff key and a bolt to retain it. My small 3 arm puller popped it right off.

You gotta love old stuff made in the USA....wish they still made things that way but with modern technological advances..*G*

Did I mention to fire the mechanic?? hehehe

G

·
0 Posts
Only thing I can add is, if you have an Autozone anywhere near you they have a loan a tool program. Give them a deposit they give you the tool, when your finished, bring it back and get your money back. I just rebuilt my pump, it was pretty easy. Good luck with it.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVABLE, WOOOOHOOOO...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,213 Posts
It may be worth buying the pulley remover tool. Even though you may never use it again. I resisted many years but lately the local parts stores have been carrying them for reasonable prices. The bad new is you'll need another matching tool to reinstall the pulley. Without BOTH these tools, you'll screw the pump up. Trust me, I KNOW.
I drove my 68 for about 8 years daily. It had power steering that was disconnected more often than not. Parallel parking was annoying but doable. Other than that I never missed the P/S. The only reason I kept trying to fix it was because "it's there, so bigod it oughta be functioning".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts