Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a R134 Sanden conversion compressor kit on my 1968 Coupe with P/S and factory A/C. The compressor has 2 v-grooves and most pictures I have found of other installs show the outer groove being used which would line up with the factory outer A/C belt.

I was wondering if I can just use the inner groove on the compressor, get a longer belt to go around the crank-water pump-P/S pump-& A/C, and just eliminate the need for 3 belts?

Will this hurt anything?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would not do that. One of the other items will have less belt contact and that could cause a problem. I you have a third slot on the factory pulley and it lines up with the Sanden outer slot, I would use that. The Sanden takes a couple HP on its own and would work best with its own belt and adjustable idler pulley.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I would not do that. One of the other items will have less belt contact and that could cause a problem. I you have a third slot on the factory pulley and it lines up with the Sanden outer slot, I would use that. The Sanden takes a couple HP on its own and would work best with its own belt and adjustable idler pulley.
I agree, asking a single belt to do all that is a lot. It'd have to be really tight, to keep from squeaking. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the input. Actually, it looks like the belt that runs the A/C is a little bit wider than the other two belts so I don't think it would work out as easily as i hoped anyway.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
FWIW, I was able to use my stock belt after the conversion. The idler adjuster also took care of any differences in compressor pulley size/location just fine, though I don't think it was much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you like the performance of the Sanden? Is it a big difference over the stock unit?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
How do you like the performance of the Sanden? Is it a big difference over the stock unit?
The Sanden compressor's performance is night and day different from an original. I had a Sanden setup on a '65 6-cylinder, and you could literally barely feel the compressor kicking in and out. Not so with an original compressor; you'll hear it when the piston kicks in, and you'll know it by how the engine bogs down. There's a reason so many factory A/C setups ended up in the trash can back in the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts