Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my short block rebuilt by a local shop that specializes in Ford engines and has more than 40 years in the business. A couple of days ago I got it started and was trying to break in the new cam and new lifters. After 5-7 minutes running at approximately 2000 rpm, the right front freeze plug blew out on the floor with a couple of gallons of coolant. My car is a 1965 Mustang convertible with a stock 289 and C4 tranny.

So my question is: can I install a new freeze plug with the engine installed? The freeze plug is under the exhaust manifold and over the right motor mount.

Has anyone had any experience with the expandable freeze plugs.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As long as you can stick one in the hole and tighten the nut there's no reason a rubber plug shouldn't get you going again. Properly installed, they will work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I installed one on my 64 Falcon 260 on RH side years ago. Had to remove starter, and think I removed idler arm from it's pivot shaft. I cannot recall how many there are on each side, and this one may be rearward of yours. A bit of a pain, but was doable.

I replaced 5 of 6 on my 62 Chrysler 413 in car, including the ones behind the motor mounts. Painful. Make sure you have room for a drift and to swing a hammer before getting started. Or go the rubber plug route.

66Candy - like your press-in method.

·
Registered
35,216 Posts
Tools such as this are intended for installing core plugs with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought that driver kit after having the same thing happen...although I was out driving when mine blew. I got an Uber ride to a parts store and bought one of the rubber bungs to get me home then used the driver kit to put a new one in (with a generous coating of the Right Stuff) to make sure it never happened again. Thankfully all of the others stayed put. It was the same situation right after a rebuild, but I can't blame the shop, I was the one that put them in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So let me get this right, extending the OP's question: if I wanted, I could REMOVE the front left freeze plug and the back right freeze plug, flush the whole underside of the block, then reinstall the plugs without having to pull the engine?

I'm thinking in terms of doing a power flush when a "water hose" flush didn't do the trick.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
You COULD. Me, I actually kind of enjoy removing and installing old Ford engines. Along the way you can give it all a thorough clean and brightening too. But I'd almost rather be beaten with a baseball bat than to have to replace more than one freeze plug with the engine in the car. I've done a couple that went OK but most of them are awful, just awful.

Reactions: 66#3 and BlakeTX

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
no warranty?

Reactions: Israel and yarb

·
Registered
865 Posts
After a "recent" rebuild, that freeze plug should have been replaced. Secondly, there had to have been some pressure inside the block to push it out (your system with radiator cap shouldn't have exceeded 16 psi unless your thermostat was stuck shut). That being said, you can remove some parts for working clearance and install a new one. And as Blues said, warranty?

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The freeze plug that blew out was new, it had some RTV on it. I talked to the guy who ran the shop where the work was done and he gave me a handful of freeze plugs of different depths. That was the warranty. I have a 13 psi radiator cap. I am going to try the expandable plug for now, just to get the cam broken in and we'll see how that goes. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and this year :mad: will be even fewer. Thanks for all the comments, I love this forum.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The guy that rebuilt my 428 in my mach 1 the first time years ago installed all the freeze plugs dry with no sealant, about half of them leaked when the car ran. I managed to install new ones with sealer in the car. If it can be done on an FE you should be able to do it.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
I use a swab of Permatex Aviation Gasket sealer on mine and the block when I do them. I DO NOT like to redo freeze plugs, they're bad enough the first time. NOT an instance where I would use RTV. Not at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
So he gave you the new freeze plugs and you said what?

“Ok, I’ll handle this.”

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use Permatex No. 2 which is very similiar. I have replaced several in cars. Like the other posters, sometimes it's ingenuity to get them in. I like brass ones, but that's me.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The freeze plug that blew out was new, it had some RTV on it. I talked to the guy who ran the shop where the work was done and he gave me a handful of freeze plugs of different depths. That was the warranty. I have a 13 psi radiator cap. I am going to try the expandable plug for now, just to get the cam broken in and we'll see how that goes. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and this year :mad: will be even fewer. Thanks for all the comments, I love this forum.
I feel your pain brother! I've had my $2500 short block out of my car $10,000 times! Sadly, unless you're a lawyer, you're on your own.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjwi5iU76_qAhWGQs0KHdqoAuYQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAc&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5y6C-v5-j0&usg=AOvVaw2LBszlQJhBdjdT50BhlV5T

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
Wait...... you just had the engine rebuilt and a NEW freeze plug "blew out"? I'd be on the phone saying "Let me know when the car will be picked up so I can be here to give the keys to the transporter.". That's a) absolute bullshit and b) you have every right to expect the job to be done completely and correctly. Contact your State Consumer Affairs Department to find out what rights you may have, even if that wasn't specifically addressed in your warranty statement.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Wait...... you just had the engine rebuilt and a NEW freeze plug "blew out"? I'd be on the phone saying "Let me know when the car will be picked up so I can be here to give the keys to the transporter.". That's a) absolute bullshit and b) you have every right to expect the job to be done completely and correctly. Contact your State Consumer Affairs Department to find out what rights you may have, even if that wasn't specifically addressed in your warranty statement.
I've been there Barti, and unless he's a lawyer he is screwed. I just got a certified letter today saying that I am being sued for owning a property adjoining an abandoned railroad siding that some a-hole bought hoping to turn a quick profit but couldn't get something or other for. 30+ of us are being sued. God bless America! Any maggot with money can sue anybody. but if I try to sue I am screwed.

A nod to Rob Reiner's dad Carl!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I replaced the passenger side plug recently on my 66. I removed the starter and motor mount. Theres not alot of room but it can be done. I wish I would have had a small button jack. Would have made it much easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts