Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Back many years ago in my teens and early twenties when money was tight I used drippings from my corner gas station. They were the ultimate “blend”
Anyone remember what drippings were?
Yep, As a kid I had to take the oil bottles and balance them on an old metal funnel inserted in an old Quaker State metal oil can to drain out any remaining oil... we used to use the oil for the oil can or to top off if needed... My old man learned that at the Sinclair Station he worked at as a kid...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I looked at the french version of Amazon... you can order 10W30 or 10W40 in Europe... either grade would work fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So it turns out that 10W30 dead dinos is hard to come by locally where I now am, they only have 15W40. They have a good stock of synthetic. So I got 5W30 synth.
But then I was reading about mixing the 2 for cost reasons and I got to thinking I could mix synthetic 5W30 with 15W40 dead dinos. Or maybe 5W20 with 15W40. That otta even out to about 30 weight, no?

Are there rules in this game? And sources for proper reading would be helpful if ya have 'em.

DrC

Edit: if you're asking why I'd mix... it's the seepage and leaks... finally got leak free just last week...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I'm actually doing some research at work on gearbox oils. We are in the process of changing from dino to synthetic. Synthetic oils are made 3 different ways. One of them is compatible with dino, the other two are not.

Here's a quote from today:

PAO synthetics are typically compatible with conventional oil.
The Mobil synthetics on your site are PAO synthetics.
To maximize synthetic performance, drain as much conventional out as possible prior to refill.

If the concern is about oxidation or burned oil, I have attached a system flush procedure.

Polyalphaolefin is by far the most common major synthetic base oil used in industrial and automotive lubricants. It is a synthetic hydrocarbon (SHC) that mimics the best hydrocarbon (branched) structure found in mineral oils.

Sincerely,

Jeff Crawford
Mobil Lubricants Field Engineer

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yep, As a kid I had to take the oil bottles and balance them on an old metal funnel inserted in an old Quaker State metal oil can to drain out any remaining oil... we used to use the oil for the oil can or to top off if needed... My old man learned that at the Sinclair Station he worked at as a kid...
Still do it

21 - 26 of 26 Posts