Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who responed to my earlier push rod alignment question hit the head on the nail. Looking at my own pics I saw the clutch fork had pulled out of the tranny alot. Must have happened when I had my clutch pedal stop off.
I have the fork out and now I see that I am also missing the little spring clip that is supposed to hold the fork in and I dont recall that it ever was there either.

Can I get the fork installed w/the spring clip w/o pulling the tranny?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty confident about getting the fork fingers in the TO bearing clips.
It's the retaining clip I really dont know about since I dont have one.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think the only way to be sure it's done right is to remove the tranny, and the bell housing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
656 Posts
what i did while i was there, and since i kept breaking the repro pivot brackets with my aftermarket clutch, is fabbed up a bracket with some angle iron, gusseted it, and cut it to the right height, rounded the edge, and drilled a hole for a small screw for the spring clip to attach to....then i got some bolts that have the same kind of head as the rivets and some lock nuts....that way i can install/remove it without dropping the tranny....
you may not need a fabricated pivot bracket, but i'm glad i did the bolt thing after the first bracket i broke...made for much easier replacement til i could make a stronger bracket.....

but anyway....to answer your question....no, you cannot get the spring clip to go back on with the bell housing in the car....it's hard enough with the bell out of the car.....another reason i went wth the bolts instead of rivets (not to mention i couldn't get the rivets to attach properly)....so i could attach the spring, THEN attch the bracket.....

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts