Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use the flywheel off my 68 289 on my new engine which is a 68 302 can I swap the 289 flywheel onto the 302.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys I tried to bolt it up today but only one bolt would line up and it was getting dark so I called it a night I'll rotate it around until I get them to line up. Also it will work because I know for a fact its a automatic flywheel and I drove the car home when I bought it so that is all fine.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Lots of Mid 60's 289s came with 160 tooth flywheels and flexplates(auto). They are interchangeable with 157 tooth 28 oz. flywheels.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
OP, the bolt pattern is indexed so it'll only fit one way.

As long as the engine is factory imbalance and the replacement flexplate is as well, the two flexplates, with the production year caveats accepted, should interchange. If one or the other has been dynamically balanced subsequent to production, bad day. Nine times out of ten you'll be fine.

All my early C4's, including the one I use in the race car behind the 351W, won't accept a 164 tooth flexplate and I've always used the early 157 tooth ones. Perhaps the later C4's work with both. Anyway, check that fitment too, if it's an issue.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts