·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use any special kind of media?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not sure what media was in the blasters I've used. I've done mine twice. The first time I clear coated it. After a couple of years I hit it again to get the stained clear coat off. Mask gasket surfaces and plug holes.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You can use sand, but have to be VERY careful not to overdo it as sand will remove material. Glass beads or walnut shells are much more forgiving and work well, depending what you are trying to clean up (paint, corrosion or grease/dirt). Clean the intake as well as you can before blasting it and you will be happier with the results.
Daniel

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
When your done be very sure to blow off. Be sure you blow out every opening or you will be sorry when the sand or what ever you use for media locks up the rings or some other problem comes up. Been there, no fun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Play sand, no clearcoat...au natural.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
After having media destroy a fresh engine I am VERY cautious about media blasting an intake. That stuff can get in anywhere. I used paint stripper on my EFI manifold and then wheel cleaner with a coat of clear.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I used #5 sandblasting sand (fine as sugar) on mine. I taped off the ports and carb openings with metal duct tape. You should thoroughly clean the intake BEFORE blasting to get any greasy/oily spots off the inside as sand will stick to them. I use the car wash to clean mine. Afterwards I blow air through it.

On the FE forum a guy had his intake blasted with steet shot. Some of it gathered in a pocket in the intake and got into his motor. Time for a rebuild!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advise. It sounds like I will be able to do it, but I just need to clean before and after as well as, tape everything up good. Of you that have clear coated them, what did you use and how has it lasted.

·
Registered
398 Posts
rsalway said:
Of you that have clear coated them, what did you use and how has it lasted.
You might be able to search and find an extensive thread on this topic already. My conclusion from it was that more people found problems with it yellowing than not. This being true for both powdercoating and paint.
That's why I've opted to not do it.
Now mind you, I've only cleaned up a little coolant spill on it so far, but it came up well with body-prep oil and grease remover.
I found that brake cleaner didn't do near as good a job.

·
Registered
398 Posts
pancho_villa said:
Play sand says on the bag "Not for sandblasting"

(The white stuff)
it sure did.
of course, I also ran with scissors as a child so consider the source :p
turned out great anyway.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that info. I think I kind of remember that thread.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I sand blasted my aluminum intake, then washed it
a dozen times with water. Let it dry, primed it
with hi-heat Plasti-Kote, then painted it with
Plasti-Kote Old Ford Blue. That was 5 years ago,
still looks good and very easy to clean.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
EVERYTHING I have used (rattle can) to clear coat an intake has yellowed EXCEPT the Diamond Clear stuff that Eastwood makes.

Or you could clear powder coat it. That is supposed to work pretty well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts