Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a new vacuum modulator on a 66 C4 Transmission. I typically use a strap wrench to install vacuum modulators on transmissions but this time got a little aggressive and put a small dent in the modulator. Will the dent affect the operation of the modulator? I was worried that there may be a spring in the area I dented. See pictures below.

Modulator 1.jpg Modulator 2.jpg

·
Registered
954 Posts
A strap wrench probably isn't the best tool for the job. That's why there is a hex at the base of the modulator. You may have to grind down the sides of an open end wrench to fit (I know I had to do that).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've changed many modulators using a strap wrench with success. First failure because i was aggressive with making sure it was tight. I'll have to see if I have an old box wrench I can grind down.

Alas, I was hoping that the responses would be on the good side. I may just try it out before I buy a new one. They ain't cheap.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious, has anybody cut into a vacuum modulator to see how they are constructed?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying a new vacuum modulator. I bailed out using a strap wrench and as suggested, I made my own wrench. I didn't have a spare 3/4" wrench to grind down but I did have a couple of thin wrenches from installing replacement water faucet cartridges. The wrenches come with the replacement cartridge. I used a cutting wheel on my dremel and the end result worked like a charm and I didn't have to sacrifice a good wrench. Here are some pictures.

Wrench 1.jpeg Wrench 2.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts