Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a mint original 1966 harness. Can I use that in my 1965? I already installed the 1966 heater controls and box and wipers in the 1965. I guess I’m asking is what do I need to do to make the 66 wiring work with my 1965 cluster? I believe the amp and oil gauge / light configuration will be the biggest hurdle.

thoughts?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Along with the cluster needing to be swapped I think the alt harness is different between the two.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 65 is an alternator car not a generator car so I assume the charging system would work fine. It’s converting the 66 wiring meant for a gauge vs light.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Google swapping a '66 5 gauge dash cluster into a '65 sweep style, and see what has to be changed. Then do the opposite for yours.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
510 Posts
Your best bet is to get both the 65 and 66 wiring diagrams. They are not expensive and you can visually see the differences. Do not guess, otherwise you will be trouble shooting issues for weeks. Better yet, buy the under hood 66 harnesses as well, including the alternator harness.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
CAN you use a '66 under-dash harness in a '65? With wire cutters and a soldering iron you can do most anything. The question is WHY you'd want to attempt this without changing your instrument cluster? Would I recommend doing so? Only if I was changing the engine compartment harnesses at the same time. The biggest differences that you'll need to overcome are the circuits for the chargings system (different because of the ammeter versus warning lamp which affects the alternator and voltage regulator wiring as well), and the turn signal indicator wiring as the "Falcon" cluster has only one warning lamp. If the only real change you have made is to swap from the 2-speed heater blower, without resistor, to the single speed motor with resistor I'd address that separately, making the minor changes to the original under-dash harness as needed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The ‘65s had four-way flashers similar to the Falcons with a toggle switch under the the dash to the left of the steering wheel. My ‘65GTFB has four ways with the switch in the glovebox. There’s also wiring diagrams online so you can compare the two year side by side. I have the 1965 Ford wiring diagram manual, it covers all Ford makes for 1965.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts