Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called about a 302 engine that I saw in the paper this morning and the owner just called me back. He said it's out of an 85 LTD, that it had serpentine pulleys and belts, and electronic ignition. I'm still thinking about a 351c, but I just wondered if this engine would work for me.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
it would work (as in physically fit), but I don't think you want it.
The 302 out of an LTD is a tuned down low HP fuel economy driven motor with lower compression and not much re-usable for a HP build up.

I stay stick with the 351c, but I am kinda partial to them ;)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Did he say if it was an LTD LX or ex-cop LTD or is he confusing the Crown Victoria as an LTD. There is a difference.

The Crown Vic, often confused as being an LTD in '83-'86, had the 140HP 302 - not much more power over my '78 Friggin' Futura.

However, if it did come from the Fox chassis based LTD LX or ex-cop LTD, then it cranks out about 167-175HP, depending on whom you talk to. This engine was equivalent to the HO engines in the '84-'85 Mustangs equipped with automatic transmissions.

Not a bad engine. However, Dodgestang is right 351Cs and '73 Mustangs go together better!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've found out about several 351 c 2-v engines for sale, but only one of them is located near me. It's in a 73 Ranchero that needs serious restoration, and so far, the owner will not sell just the engine. I really wouldn't mind having the Ranchero, but then I wouldn't want to remove the engine from it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm putting a 'make-do' 302 out of an '81 t-bird in my 65 coupe. It fits but has a lot of little inuendos that make it a very un-user friendly installation. My engine runs and was free, and saved me spending lots of $$$ on a rebuild. $$$ which I don't currently have. If going the 302 route, I would opt for a much later version of the engine which has fuel injection and lots more than 140 hp. Mine is outfitted with headers and a 4 barrel and that will be the extent of the mods on my engine. Should be snappy, but not a real powerhouse by any means.

I agree with the others...go with a 351c.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IMHO, I like the 302 for it's more compact, simple package, not to mention abundant parts cost & availability. In addition, it's at least 50 lbs lighter than the 351C.

I got a roller cam 5.0 HO from a Lincoln Mk Vii LSC at my local junkyard (pulled it myself) for $150. These are great engines. Factory roller cam, double roller timing chain, high-nickel block (means way less wear) & option for easy fuel injection if future plans call for it.

I have nothing against 351C's, but a 302 is definately more bang for the $$$. If you feel you need the extra cubes, then go for a 351W instead...same as 302, but more displacement.

Just my $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts