Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I have a 63 Fairlane with a 221 V8 and a 2 speed. There is a lot of history behind this car, but the short story is that I need to put a 302 I'm picking up for next to nothing in this car and I need to know if I can use this trans with it.

I need to get the car driving before the summer is over, so the 221 that needs to be rebuilt is coming out to go on an engine stand until I can rebuild it (when this car is done I want it to be as close to original as possible) and the 200$ 302 is going in.

The car only has 47k original miles, but it's been sitting since 1982, and someone robbed the carb from it so rats could build a nest in the intake and get crap down into the cylinders. It's also kind of sludgy, so I thought I'd rebuild. But I don't have time for that now.

I would like to give my Grandfather a ride in it before the summer is over. It was his mother's car since 1968, and he gave it to me a couple of years ago because he said he knew that I was the Grandson that would do something with it. He's getting pretty old, and I want to make sure I get to drive him around in it a few times.

Right now I just need that one simple question answered.
Thanks.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Not a chance.

On the other hand, rebuilding this 47k mile engine will consist of taking it apart, cleaning the parts, and putting it back together. It'll cost you a gasket set. The hardest part will be finding a correct carb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang it! I kind of thought that.

Hmmmm. I guess maybe I need to find a cheap C4 to throw in it temporarily with the 302.

At first I thought of an EFI 302/AOD combo, to make a good cruiser. I'm still kind of tossing that idea around too.
I've got everything I need to do that except the fuel system mods and the AOD and crossmember.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Dang it! I kind of thought that.

Hmmmm. I guess maybe I need to find a cheap C4 to throw in it temporarily with the 302.

At first I thought of an EFI 302/AOD combo, to make a good cruiser. I'm still kind of tossing that idea around too.
Read my p.s. What you have here is a weekend project. You don't need the 302.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
+1 on what 22GT said....I'd pull that motor down and clean everything up and put it back together...most likely would run super.

I love the lines on the '63 Fairlane...I owned one a few years back that had a 260 in it and it was a sweet car....

The stock wheels were a real oddity...5-lug standard pattern but were 13" diameter wheels...after I restored it I put all new Michilin tires on it before selling it...I have not looked lately but I don't even know if you can get 13" tires that would be suitible for the car anymore?

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was the original plan. But if I do that I might as well put new rod and main bearings in it. If I do that I might as well have it vatted and a little hone to the cylinders and new rings. I don't really have the money for that now.

I have already taken the heads off, so I guess I could just clean up what I can get to and hope for the best. I would like to see what's in the oil pan though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts