Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me--- I have a 70 fastback that has the woodgrain instuument cluster. (non-tach) The plastic that the wood grain panel covers is pretty rough. (cracked) I have a nice 69 woodgrain cluster I could install. Want to stay with the deluxe interior look. What problems will I run into using the 69 cluster in a 70??. The wiring harness looks the same where it plugs into the back of the cluster. For sure it should fit the dash. The only difference i can think of is the bottom where the steering wheel cover goes. Not worried about that. Anyone know of any problems I may have using a 69 cluster in a 70? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think the only difference is what you already pointed out, one of the plastic housings has different screw mounting points. Other than that, they are the same.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that. if anyone else knows any problems I may have as far as the dash lights not working right, etc. please let me know. thanks Jim

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yup, what JP said. Youll need a 70 housing to fit the column.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you'll. I set both clusters (69 and 70) in the dash and I see what your talking about. Is a tight fit around the ingition switch on top of the column. My 70 deluxe cluster was cracked some were the steering column comes up to it. I put the column cover on it and that hides most all of that. Should look fine. Thanks again. Jim

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Would you be willing to trade the 69 for a 70, no gauges just the housing & woodgrain, or selling the 69 outright? If interested e-mail me @ we can compare quality, jamesmlay @ tx.rr.com (remove the spaces).

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts