Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to assemble the 347 and wanted to get all of the parts that we needed(or close, you always forget something :)) before we started the build. It will have the edelbrock performer rpm cam heads and intake and 10:1 comp. Can I use NEW stock main bearing bolts? Should I get the ARP's or AARP or whatever they are?
Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would definitely use studs. When assembling, put the crank in and torque the main studs down. If the crank tries to bind up, you will need to get the block align honed.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
At least get ARP bolts.....not getting them to save the 35 bucks is false economy.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I fourth the ARP studs....a windage tray is also a good investment...

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
You should atleast use new main bolts but I would not use anything less then ARP's. Studs and nuts will give you a truer torque read, the block threads will stretch a little with bolts whereas with studs the out of the block thread section takes the bulk of the stress. You may want to use locktite on the block side threads with a stud setup. For Bolts be sure to pick up a tube of ARP thread lube. Head bolts are suppose to be good for three times around. You may want to think about these as well. If your block has not yet been line honed I would sugguest you consider a crank main girdle setup. They go for $150 to $175 and will keep your bottom end truer in the powerband-less energy to spin the crank and more to transfer to the tires!!

Have Fun,

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts