Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if it is possible to take an alternator out of an early 90s mustang and put it in my mustang. I know I will have to swap out the pulley but is there any wiring concerns or things like that?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf

I was planning to do this also.......

Apparently, in the 90's some Fords got low output alternators......but the newer ones, especially the lincoln alternators, output upwards of 150 amps continuous.

BTW, alternators this powerful need adequately large wiring to them......I was planning to use a circuit breaker like the car audio nuts use....they offer them as big as 200 amps, LOL!!!!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I should also point out those late alternators dont just bolt in and require some kind of extra bracketing....someone probabky makes it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't know about the alternator, but you sure have a really neat looking ride! :: I especially like the lowered look using the vintage slotted mags. I'm very partial to slots and like them on just about any vehicle. My stang has slots all the way around and I was interested to know what they would look like on a completed car. Now I know. Very nice car you have.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I believe thes alternators have the voltage regulator built into them. Thus, you will have to modify your alternator wiring harness and by-pass/remove your stock voltage regulator. Someone should check me on this, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts