Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent post about things OP have done to Mustangs that are basically deplorable. Well- here's another! A guy bought this '65 coupe locally and brought it to me to inspect it/ make a list of everything it needs. While it looks nice on the outside, it's a total mess under the lipstick unfortunately. Case in point- no working headlights, taillights, or turn signals..... here's what I found....

You obviously notice the overabundance of butt connectors, tape, splices, etc, but did you notice the lack of other things- like a fuse block, voltage regulator, and a connected column? Can it get worse... yup- I'm colorblind. I think I'm going to need extra batteries for my meter on this one!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wonder what that spring is for in the second photo....All in all, that is some professional wiring. I'm sure all the wiring changes were documented....right?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would guess they converted it to a 3G/4G or a GM 1 wire alternator, hence the missing regulator.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder what that spring is for in the second photo....All in all, that is some professional wiring. I'm sure all the wiring changes were documented....right?
Excellent Eye! lol! Believe it or not, it appears the brake pedal is incorrect as the post through the pivot isn't long enough to install the retainer pin. Instead, they installed a screen door spring attached from the pedal to the heater box hinge to keep tension on the pedal- that way it won't slide to the left and come loose!!

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would guess they converted it to a 3G/4G or a GM 1 wire alternator, hence the missing regulator.
Makes sense.... until I found the regulator bolted to the inner fenderwell on the passenger side close to the floor??? lol

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What could go wrong? ...What is that smell?
funny you mention that.... there's like a dozen of those 'new car scent' pads scattered under the seats... which are held in by 1/4" x 6" machine screws through 1" perforated square tubing (erector set-esque) 'seat tracks'.....

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
LOL....Looks like some of the stuff I used to run into when installing cell phones. Touch a single wire just right and crazy things would start happening. "Everything worked fine before you installed that phone!". The worst was a Shaggin' Wagon that used to come in occasionally for service. A 70s something Chevy van equipped with bed, strobe light, lava light and neon signs in back, stereo and amp with dozen speakers, along with CB and radar detector. You could brush your hand across the 2 inch thick shag carpet and seeds would pop up and bounce around. All that stuff was powered by a bunch of twisted wires shoved in behind glass fuses in the box under the dash. Everyone seemed to suddenly get very busy in the back when it pulled in, no one wanted to touch it.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
I think I would pull all that out and start over with a new or reconditioned stock harness.

Reactions: Klutch

·
Dimples
5,663 Posts
To answer the original question, YES! Things can always get worse and almost always do, lol.

Three signs you're in trouble.... HEI dizzy, electric fan and convoluted wire loom.
Right, because every car with an electric fan is a piece of junk.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,386 Posts
S'right every car modified to other than my particular taste is junk.

Could be worse in many ways. One owner proudly proclaimed he had put new floor pans in of a car I happened to able to get under on a lift. He did. You could see the new metal through the old rust holes. An experimental poke with a finger showed that the pans weren't actually attached to the car. He just laid the carpet back down on top of them. He didn't believe in replacing cotter pins either. V8 rolling on four lugs. There were more issues with that car but it's been awhile. I look out for it on the road, that thing is going to kill somebody.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I know I'm new to all this stuff, but is the electric fan supposed to be bolted thru the radiator fins???????

And I thought my PO wiring job was bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts