Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car with p/s has a slight pull to the right. I checked and tried almost everything. Brakes are not dragging, I changed the idler arm, checked the p/s adjustment etc etc. The only thing I haven't checked is the front wheel alignment. The tires are wearing evenly and they are not squealing when taking a corner. Can a wrong camber or caster cause this pulling ?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Alignment is most usually the cause ,,Get it lined up by a good shop and you'll be set

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If you have perfect alignment, then the car will pull right if you drive on crowned roads. Try driving on both sides of the crown...be careful of on coming traffic! After driving on both sides of the crown what result do you get?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
A car will pull AWAY from the side with more positive caster. On your 66, the only way to adjust caster is to add (or remove) shims from the upper control arm. If you add a shim behind the upper control arm behind the front bolt it will increase positive caster on that side and steer the car AWAY from you. Similarly, if you remove a shim behind the rear bolt it will have the same effect. Remember, you are changing camber too when you add or remove shims.

I'd play with it some before heading to an aligment shop so that you have an idea what it needs. IMHO most alignment shops these days don't have a clue how to align these cars and don't want to try.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts