Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to engine buildup.
I am excited to guess what I will get.
But heres what I've got so far.(for 65fastback)
351w .30 over (cast pistons) don't know compression yet
GT40 P heads and P headers
Performer rpm intake and same cam (lift .469 intake, .520 exhaust, duration 224int, 234 exh (came as package deal so I believe this is correct specs, correct me if this like an error)
Holley 4 barrel, 650 cfm
msd distr and box (if it matters at all)
Roller rockers (I believe all else is rollerless)
Toploader tranny
Thanks for your time
Bryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 351 that is 30 over--same cam; Performer RPM manifold; 600cfm Holley; World Heads with 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust; 10.2 to 1 compression ratio. Computer simulation says its 395 horsepower; dyno said 402hp. It's a very strong engine. It's also balanced and blueprinted and all the power robbing accesories are gone.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Because the P heads flow 185cfm right out of the box, and the cam is pretty healthy sized, you should be hitting 385hp with torque at approx 400ft lbs. The good things about P heads are the port design (good low end torque and flow numbers in upper rpm range) and best of all the combustion chamber, excellent swirl characteristics and clean burn.

go electric fan, under drive pullies and make sure the carb gets cold air and you will be having even more fun.

PS getting headers coated with thermal barrier coating brings engine bay temps down by 100 degrees F. every 10 degree drop in inlet charge temp
will equal roughly 1% increase in power.

have fun!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts