Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started working on finishing up the 65 coupe my father in law was working on before he got sick. he lived out in california and i'm in boston, so i didn't get to see a lot of the work that he did on it....

i know he put a new 302 in along with a new transmission and maybe a new rear end. he also changed the front drums to discs and did some suspension work. he might have already done a shelby drop...
the engine, brakes, etc were installed and the engine break in and dyno was done out at JBA racing in san diego so i have some info about the cam, carb, headers, etc but nothing else...

anyways, here are the numbers (some where hard to read..)

transmission: RE-E9OP-7006-AA

Heads have: 5 15 CTP stamped on the side

the rear end has these numbers arranged in a circle...
1-6-1-3-5 and 4C14 stamped next to it...(i am going to convert to disc brakes and want to make sure i get the right kit...)

the spindles are 05?W-8AA-78 and the brakes are ford with on number 233 visible on the back of the caliper. i am redoing the front suspension with global west UCA and LCA and with street and track strut rods and want to make sure the spindles are compatible....

also when i looked over the UCA's i noticed that i could see 3 holes just above where the arms are mounted. does this mean that they already have the shelby drop.

if anyone can help figure out what has been changed/stock that would be great.....

cheers

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The Shelby drop holes are 1" lower and about 1/8" back from stock if that helps.

Judging from the D5/1975 partnumber, I'll hazard a guess that they're Granada brakes on front.

The E9 partnumber is 1989 on the transmission. It'd be a T5 5spd stick or AOD 4spd Auto.

The block casting number behind the starter would shed a little more light on what it is, short of contacting the builder.

Something in me says it's a newer 5.0 and newer production heads, and unfortunatley, they stopped stamping the year and application into the top of the heads in between the rocker arms about 1977. After that, they're underneath. Aftermarket heads usually have the makers name stamped in front, clearly visible.

What cam? That might shed a little light on what motor is.
HTH
--Kyle
PS: GW arms and Granada spindles don't mix, just ask gt350clone! :eek:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read that post about the Granada brakes and and the global west parts. what is the best way to confirm either way. if they are Granada spindles and discs what can i do to get everything working. do i have to buy new spindles and a new brake package?

AOD 4 speed. that must be it since i do have an overdrive that makes driving on the highway real nice and i just found a part that was purchased for an AOD transmission on the inovice...

as far as the motor goes. this is the stuff that adds info off the JBA invoice.....

AOD Trans inspection cover (didn't notice this before, guess you're right about the transmission)

Performance Roller Cam 5.0L M6250E303

cheers....any ideas about the rear end....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
There's nothing you can do about the GW/Granada issue, but use stock spindles and a disk conversion kit. I'm sure you can get good money for a fresh Granada setup, and a Rod & Custom Motorsports front disc kit is only $350, and I suppose you could get somewhere near that for the Granada stuff from an Ebay idiot ::

The cam is a Ford Racing E303 (which is a 5.0 roller cam), so you have a 5.0 and AOD.

As for the rear discs, most kits will work on an 8" or 9". IIRC, wrench on the bottom housing bolt = 9", socket = 8".

I'm guessing you have a 5.0 with headers, a 4bbl carb, aluminum intake, and an E303 cam?

What kind of intake and carb? More details on the heads would be a good thing to know, but if you go looking for info, find out the compression ratio and what parts were used for everything.
HTH
--Kyle
PS: Search those recipts...sounds like there a good info source!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wish i had the recepits. for now i just have the invoices for the installation of the parts. guess i'll have to wait
there are a couple of v8 spindles listed on ebay right now. seem really expensive, what is a set worth in good shape...

until the engine needs some work....right now it is running like new. guess i'll work on the engine next year since the whole suspension rebuild is costing way more than expected.

some more info on the upgrades:

holly street avenger 600 for the carb.
JBA Headers and Flowmasters for the exhaust
not sure on intake

cheers...

do you know which of the brake kits maintain the correct offset....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man, after looking over the cost of changing the spindle and also getting new front brakes, i am think about returning all the global west stuff and just sticking with what i have....

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That may be a good thing. If your shock towers already have 3 sets of holes in them, you may not be able to drill the holes for the GW upper control arms. They don't use the same holes that the Shelby drop uses.

Dean T

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figure this will be some sort of headache....i am going to go ahead with the upgrade....i am going to sell my granada package and i bought a baer track setup and a drum spindle.....guess i'll have to weld the holes up or something....

anyways, here is are some picks of the engine, still needs some misc work.

does anyone know the best way to figure out which roller rockers are correct for the engine.

max

https://myfiles.neu.edu/b.weinberg/public/engine-1.jpg

https://myfiles.neu.edu/b.weinberg/public/engine-2.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts