Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already Decided to go with a 65-68 Coupe or Fastback.
Orginally wanted a big block, but people here tell me that small block can make just as much.
Well i'm shooting for 280-350 or so maybe a little higher, also it'll be used for daily driving, and maybe once in a while track racing and drag racing.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
but people here tell me that small block can make just as much.
mmmm..... not really. In the FE/big block challenges folks push 600+ Hp regularly with 4bbl carbs. Barry Rabotnick (Survival motorsport, known big block guru) got 752 out of an FE.... no way you'll hit that with a small block.

This Ford Big Block Engine Showcases The Horsepower That Ford FE Engines Can Produce - Engine Masters Magazine

But, a small block can push more than the numbers you want. And saves a lot of front end weight. And $$$.... :)

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Already Decided to go with a 65-68 Coupe or Fastback.
Orginally wanted a big block, but people here tell me that small block can make just as much.
Well i'm shooting for 280-350 or so maybe a little higher, also it'll be used for daily driving, and maybe once in a while track racing and drag racing.
Thanks
A 289 can reach your goal easily.

Example:

A guy near here started with a real boat anchor 67 289 2V.

Added these parts:
- Edelbrock 600 carb
- Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
- 289HP air cleaner
- C9OZ-6250-C hydraulic cam
- Stock distributor tuned to BOSS 302 advance specs
- Home-modified iron heads 289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

His engine turned 321 hp on the dyno.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
...or as an alternative to what 22GT listed, stroke to 302, add Windsor Jr heads with cleaned up bowls, and perhaps the listed hydraulic cam and make 348 RWHP. (depends on the cam events and attention valve-train detail.)
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
For less than $4K you can get a really nice Ford Motorsports motor that will acheive your goal. Otherwise stroke it to 347 with a decent cam and heads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You really need to have some honest thought with yourself on what you want do to with the car and the most important characteristics of your car. You can make 1000hp out of a 302 if you really want to, great at the drag strip but not a daily driver. Do you want it to handle, will the extra weight of the 351 impact the handling. You can get 350hp out of a 302 in your sleep with the right components with calm manners good enough for a daily driver.

Most importantly, how much you want to spend? Once you start pushing all that HP what are your plans for the trans and rear?

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Lot of options here. My list was the least expensive, but also the least hp result. Depends on your budget, and goals.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
300 rear wheel horsepower can be had very easily and cheaply with a roller cam 302 and a decent set of aluminum heads (heck even some guys on Corral.net are hitting 300rwhp with GT40 heads).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts