Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling a set of FE aluminum valve covers on e(B)ay (see link below), and some one is asking if they can be polished or chromed? I'm pretty sure they can be polished but not certain about the chrome part? any ideas, as I'm not to familar with aluminum valve covers and their trates.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_1b999e55e398af0c6be96a304b4e3305/i-1.JPG

Thanks

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'd sure recommend polishing in any case. I am not sure you can even chrome aluminum. Look at some planes that are polished aluminum - really great.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't think you can chrome aluminum, but you can certainly powdercoat it. They'd look great wrinkle black.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey whiz, what did those valve covers come off of? Are they factory or aftermarket? I have a set just like them and they were painted blue, and I media blasted them and then clearcoated them. I have been asking around and nobody knows anything about them. Thanks Daryl

G

·
0 Posts
Powder coat, polish or paint...those are your three options. Aluminum can not be "chromed"....

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hey whiz, what did those valve covers come off of? Are they factory or aftermarket? Thanks Daryl

<hr></blockquote>

The only thing I know about them, is they fit a 390/428 and are pretty old. These actually have "FORD" stamped inside the covers, sorry I couldn't help more than that!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,858 Posts
I'm no expert in this field, but try these guys for answers to "chroming aluminum" and the material they sell to do just that..
http://www.caswellplating.com/

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,858 Posts
They CAN be chromed, but its a tricky process and would probably cost more than the owner would be willing to pay, unless money is no object....I've read several sites speaking of the chroming process for aluminum...it will cost, that's all....and the results may be tricky. OK, this is starting to sound like they CAN'T be chromed....but you get my drift..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts