Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a 1979 Ford F-100 tow a 69 Mach1? According to U-haul the f100 is not heavy enuff? ::

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I used to tow my old '69 mach1 with my '83 chevy 1/2 ton with no problems. U-haul is just covering thier butts, for liability purposes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
As long as you have an V8 in your truck you should have no problems. And to back that up, I pulled my dirt track car(olds cutlass :eek:) in an 88 Ranger 4x4 extended cab, on a trailer back and forth to the track. It had a 2.9 V6 in it and had no problems. ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,827 Posts
The half ton trucks tend be marginal for towing another vehicle. Of course I and lots of other people have people have done it with no problems. I towed an Aerostar over the Blue Ridge mountains with my 89 F150, no problem at all. According to Uhaul I was driving an "F350" and towing a VW. I actually got a counter guy who knew his stuff. Wink, nod, F350, yeah that's what it is. Rare that that happens, so for the occaisons I have to deal with Uhaul I have a pair of F350 emblems for the fenders if I need them. "Sure it's a 1 ton, says so on the fenders." It works. A high school Honda driver isn't likely able to tell the difference anyway. They just go by "what the book says".
Though if I had some sort of questionable accident while towing a "VW" with my "F350" I suspect there would have been hell to pay.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It's not so much a question of whether the engine can handle it, as whether the vehicle weight and suspension is adequate to safely handle the side forces. Towing a car can get REAL squirrely (sp?) on even an interstate rutted with truck traffic. It can wag your tail bad, and the pucker factor can go off the chart! Don't ask me how I know this. It depends on the vehicle as to whether it is safe, or not. Usually, if you take it real easy, and aren't hesitant to slow down, you'll be OK.

When I was a kid, I was driving a Jeep pickup pullng a horse trailer with 2 horses in it. Gravel road, running about 70 mph :p, and the trailer started whipping the rear end of the little Jeep from side to side, and not just a ittle bit. Luckily, I knew enough not to touch the brakes, but that was a long ride before it slowed down enough to stabilize. At the time, all I thought of was the horses, and this was way before seat belts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts