Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get whats left of my torque box off the bottom of the frame rail on my 68 coupe passenger side.There is lots of rot as you can see in the picture.Can this be patched and then weld new torque box on?Trying to air chisel torque box off and its just pulling the rotted part of the frame rail with it.I called NPD and they list the frame rail extension but not the part that the extension welds to.only one they list is for a convertible so was wondering if I can just weld new metal in?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can find the frame rail part that goes back under the floor that the floor welds to but every patch I find for the channel that it welds to says for convert?.Do they not make one for a coupe?The bottom part of my frame rail and the front frame rail where they weld together are shot.Is the convert one wider or something?

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Yes, you can buy that piece separately. 67-70 coupe and fastback are the same. I put new ones in my car. There cheap. You can see the new one's here in this picture. I have subframe connectors and that's what you see hooked to the back of the frame rail extensions.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x253/maxum96/mustang/IMG_5535a.jpg

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maxum96 said:
Yes, you can buy that piece separately. 67-70 coupe and fastback are the same. I put new ones in my car. There cheap. You can see the new one's here in this picture. I have subframe connectors and that's what you see hooked to the back of the frame rail extensions.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x253/maxum96/mustang/IMG_5535a.jpg
Ok I am talking about the frame where those weld to.The front rail goes from the front bumper back yo the firewall where the toe board welds to it and the frame rail that goes under the front floor board welds to the bottom of it.Mine is rotted out at the bottom, where the frame rails that the floor board welds to is welded in.They make a tall patch for that so you don't have to replace the whole thing all the way up to the front bumper but they all say for convertible.Cant find one for coupe?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Can you cut some patch metal out from some flat stock? Cut out the bad metal, cut a piece of cardboard to fit what you cut out, lay it on the flat stock, trace it and cut it out and weld it in.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I had a similar situation on my 67 where the driver's side had so much rot, I replaced the inner frame rail/floor support and fabricated the forward portion of the frame rail to just in front of where the power steering bracket attaches. I purchased the Outer repair full length piece for ~$30 (#124-1LH) and fabricated the rest of the rotted portion. Make sure you use heavy enough steel (14 gauge or thicker) because this is a key piece of the unibody assembly. I cut it with a Milwaukee sawzall and welded it up with a MIG. I didnt feel like getting into some frame alignment issues.

Be aware, the farther you get into it the worse it likely will be, because the rust will have also weakened all of the surrounding area . So you may get a new frame and go to weld it in and find the frame rail needs more than a patch.

The only other thing you can do is replace the entire boxed front frame extension for ~$149(#124-2LH). Depends if you are building a show car or not.

The inner frame rail which you should replace (it looks too far gone to save) is #121-1 and is only ~$28. Do it while you are in there, you dont want to have to do it later. It wraps around the front frame extension like a horseshoe.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You could buy the part for the convertible and simply cut what you need from it. Honestly, I don't really understand why they only list it for a convertible...from what I've seen, it's the only way to buy a part that will extend as far as the original into the floor support. On my vert, I used them on both sides, but they don't fit the area (go figure), so I cut them on the edge (where my originals were separated, and welded them in. Then I welded the floor supports over top of the patch. Unless there's really a big difference between the convertibles and coupes/fastbacks, I don't see why you couldn't do the same.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
68CVert said:
You could buy the part for the convertible and simply cut what you need from it. Honestly, I don't really understand why they only list it for a convertible...from what I've seen, it's the only way to buy a part that will extend as far as the original into the floor support. On my vert, I used them on both sides, but they don't fit the area (go figure), so I cut them on the edge (where my originals were separated, and welded them in. Then I welded the floor supports over top of the patch. Unless there's really a big difference between the convertibles and coupes/fastbacks, I don't see why you couldn't do the same.
Thats what I was thinking but dont know if the channel is wider for a vert?mine is a coupe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts