Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading so many posts about so many manufacturers making so many parts including some?/most?/all? sheetmetal.

It's almost reached a point where you don't even need a donor car anymore?

Let's keep this strictly theoretical, I don't want my ass flame-grilled again over "VIN swapping" posts!

If you do need a donor body, what's the least bits you need?
If it is possible without a donor, where do you start?
What would be the final cost? $50,000?

just curious.
I wouldn't imagine that you could do this with any other car due to the popularity of these early stangs.
Was there ever a big selling "classic car but still in demand today" where lots of repro's are available?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Roofs are not available, so a convertible may be easier ::

Other parts that are not reproduced are door and front window pillars and the dash sheet metal, but other than that, you can get a long way by just using repro parts. Would be an interesting project for a Mustang Magazine

·
Registered
580 Posts
"Fastback roofs are being reproduced."

As far as I know it's only the skins and it's only 67/68. The question is about 66 Mustangs. It's kind of silly since good clean 65/66 coupes are a dime a dozen.

Lstar

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
[quoteIt's kind of silly since good clean 65/66 coupes are a dime a dozen.

Lstar [/quote] I have 3 dimes. I am in Dallas. Will come by and pick up above mentioned 36 good clean coupes.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Dynacorn makes a complete '69 Camaro shell. Year One and did a write up on assembling a Camaro using as many repro parts as possible.
I don't think Dynacorn has any plans to do such a thing for the mustang..and that's fine by me.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
About three years ago I was at the Carlisle Ford swap meet, one of the vendors had a car on display that was built using every possible reproduction sheet metal body, floor, frame, etc. part. They painted the repro parts red and painted the original parts black so that you could easily see the reproduction parts and from the original parts. I'm guessing about 60-70% (maybe more) of the car body/floor/frame was reproduction parts. It was fun to see the car on display like that. Given that it was three years ago, now I am betting there are even more repro body parts available.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There can't be much anymore that isn't reproduced.

I believe everything in front of the firewall is available.

Maybe the dash and some of the interior support panels. The interior quarter panel is one I don't think they make. Do they repro the windshield posts yet?

That would be a definity be a good buildup for the Mustang Mags!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Parts not made yet:

Coupe roof (good thing I got a NOSer :) )
Front roof pillars
Cowl , upper and lower for 65/66
Dash
Inner roof frame
Package Tray
Package Tray supports .
Inner deck panel (part of rear window frame)
Trunk hinge mounting plates .
Crossmember for Tranny Tunnel
64.5 seat risers
Door pillar/hinge attach point
Door striker panel .
Correct drip rails (not the stainless but the sheetmetal).

Not much more I can think of for a 65/66 coupe .

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's kind of silly since good clean 65/66 coupes are a dime a dozen.

Lstar
I have 3 dimes. I am in Dallas. Will come by and pick up above mentioned 36 good clean coupes.
Here, here's 5 bucks from me ...I'll have the same ...
What the hell ...keep the change!

(And I don't want all the brown ones!) :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts