Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the steering wheel (aftermarket and cheap)with an original. I've found one, but it's maroon and my interior is black. Can the color be changed and have it look right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
you could try the vinyl dye. I turned a tan one blue and it worked pretty good.

G

·
0 Posts
If you lightly sand the the steering wheel you'll notice that the maroon paint can be removed.

From there you might want to get some of the paint they use for appliances. It's shiny, tough and comes in black.

I changed one from tan to white but I used an old method found in a steering wheel restoration guide and I still need to get the shiny clear coat on.

If I were you I'd try the appliance paint first. It was suggested here by i967mustang after I started mine.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Yes. And you're in luck that your interior is black, as that will be a lot easier to find a paint than if it was, say, palamino....

I'd recommend scuffing the wheel, degreasing, and spraying with 2 coats of epoxy appliance paint. Topcoat with a compatible clearcoat for added durablilty.

It's just paint, so it won't last forever, but it's easy and the price is right. Dickson

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I painted a blue one black. I then found a nice leather cover to add a little thickness to the wheel and protect the paint from wear. It is going on 18 years and 100,000 miles with no scratches or wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts