Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1969 Mach 1 with the incorrect engine in it. It was suppose to have a 4V 351W and instead has a 351C. I was able to gather these numbers off of the thermostat housing: D1AE8591A (or 7A). Can any of you guys decipher this? I think that it's a 1971 from a full-size Ford, which makes me kinda ****ty that it's not even a Stang engine! Anyway, it also looks like it has a 2V setup. The engine is newly rebuilt and has less than 600 miles on it. I was hoping to make this a stroker street beast running on pump gas. Do you guys think I should get the 4V heads and manifold and work with the engine I have or what? Everything that I've been reading is saying that the 351C heads are the way to go. However, the information is referring to the Stang engines and not some Ford full-size version of the engine. They may be identical....I don't know. It would also be useful to know if this is a 351C, 351M or 400M for the purpose of just knowing what I have. Your feeback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
948 Posts
You will need to get the casting number from the block, not the termostat housing. The housing may have been replaced with a 71 version.

The casting number is just above the starter on the right side.
It should look something like this:

C9OE-6010-B ('69-70)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gotta have the casting numbner off the block to help you. Either way, whether it's a Windor or Cleveland you have many options.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Clevelands rock. It doesn't matter if it's out of a full size or not.
If your interested you can tell a 351M and 400 by the thermostat housing mounting surface. On a 351M/400 the surface raises about an inch. If it's a cleveland the surface will be level with the rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts