Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked these up as a lot from some one i work with . His Dad Drag raced back in the day . Im wanting to know if they will work in a 302 . I did a rough tape measure and center to center they are about 5.375 . They have a casting # of C5FE-B and the pic i drew show markings better . The rods are indenticle except the size of markings . They also came with some Federal Mogul bearings alum , Blue it says on the box dated 10-72

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I know that the T/A Boss 302 engines used 5.315" rods. IIRC, they had 7/16" rod bolts and were originally used in the Ford Indy engines in the mid sixties, which may explain the C5 part number. Regular Boss rods were based on 289 HP rods and have C3 part numbers, for example.

I'm going from vague memory here, so I may be (partly) wrong. The boss302.com board may have more accurate answers.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I am way out of my league but I wouldn't put those in just another 302. C5FE and F=Outside US My guess starts with G and ends with zero.

Helmantel said:
I know that the T/A Boss 302 engines used 5.315" rods.
Didn't ordinary Bosses use 5.155 rods? I don't know what T/A Bosses used. I think they would be C9ZZ or something.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They where resized , balanced , peened , and fluxed before being bagged. I'm not building a Race engine though cam im using is light , a 268 Comp High Energy mild 456 lift

F out of US hhmm what would that mean as far as supplier .

Hey guys thanks for your help . I do apprieciate all your help .

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
F isn't necessarily "outside of the US." Some of the race/hipo parts for Mustangs were FE coded, like the Boss 302 manifolds (C9FE's), and yes, I know they also made C9ZE manifolds.

Carl

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing came up when i googled. Well some foriegn language i didn't under stand . I do thank you for the search effort though .

Chpierce has has given the most info so far these rods are a strange brew for sure . Still looking for that answer though to what they are for .

·
Registered
800 Posts
These look like the T/A rods I have in my Boss 302 engine.Very heavy and strong.Great for 8000 rpm and some!
Greg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Canted i did find the GT40 site and got some great info . Thank you thats where i found out all the info from a reply .

Boss close but i was told they are different and from what i read in searching you have the best windsor rods available .

Ok these rods have a .975 pin there 5.315 center to center . They are from what i found out from Cushman Competition who restore these engines. Its a 255 indy race engine they ran these in the 60s that being the C5FE-B casting number . They can be used in a small block but pin has to be rebushed to the .912 pin size . They have aircraft bolts that are hard to find and special aircraft nuts . Cushman stated they are bearing specific thats the Federal Mogul blue that was produced for them . Was also told that the bearing tang is in a different location compared to the Boss rods . The bearings were sized for specific clearences, std , .001 and .003 the colors available were Red , Blue , Orange . He also stated that they are hard to balance on a externaly balanced engine i need to speak to a older machine shop that may have knowledge on that subject . They do sound like a overkill for the project i am working out just dont know yet . But they are some rare rods and bearings and i just found the special socket they need .

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
That rod length sounds very familiar from a '60s Hot Rod article I read about stroked engines. In the article, they talked about a 289 stroker kit with rods that length (as I recall) to result in a 327.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
By the way, the large end of those rods look very heavy. Were you able to determine that this is the reason why it is difficult to balance a SBF with those rods?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well these dont work well with external balanced engines is all i know . I found it at a Ford V8 engine workshop site they changed balancing by a internal counter weight in the engine they ran them in . They are heavy coming in the 700g range designed to run at 6000rpm in a race and capable of 9000rpm if i remember right.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Maybe the rods have more value to some sort of vintage racer?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts