Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am finally taking down my 65's trunk for a rebuild with new frame ends, the previous owner put a new tail light panel and rear lip in the car, with a new tank. My problem is while the area just under the tank, below the tail light panel is new, the ends of that "rail" is not new. They just tried to weld the new to rust?

Looking at these pictures did they cut off the ends of the lower support to avoid work?

What do I need to fix this? Do I just order a new "rear trunk brace" for $23? Would it reach across without needing to be sectioned together like in the photos?
It looks like thats what they had but it was either not long enough to make a proper repair or they cut it down?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Now that is cutting corners. Yeah you need a new trunk brace he sure cut that on off. That's why you have to be careful when people are saying something has been done.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. Do you think that could be replaced without removing the tail light panel?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, looking at the RTB at CJpony I see that it has no flanges on the ends? So is it not the part I need? I wish they showed it's overall length.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like your frame rail needs some work. Look where the shackle is connected.

Yeah, thats what I am doing..:shrug:
but while I am in there I want to fix the entire back half up to paint quality.

I still am curious tho, the item I pictured from CJ does not have the spot weld folded flange on the ends like the rusty one on my car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, thats what I am doing..:shrug:
but while I am in there I want to fix the entire back half up to paint quality.

I still am curious tho, the item I pictured from CJ does not have the spot weld folded flange on the ends like the rusty one on my car.
Your right!! I just reread your first post. You did mention you were fixing the rails. Time to get new glasses . LOL Good luck with your repairs , it will be nice when finished the correct way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts