• Big bore 363

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Regular bore 347

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Big bore short stroke 347

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • regular bore 331

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Stop wasting your money on this endless money pit because you need to save for retirement!

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm done with the 331 saga! I've said that 7 engine pulls now LOL! It's costing me $700 in bearings, gaskets, and head resurfacing to get that turd in one piece again with no guarantees it will work out. So I gave Woody a call this afternoon to get in line, an 8 month or more line for a Dart block based stroker. We talked about options and I was leaning toward the 3.25 stroke big bore 347 but Woody, who is not shy about sharing his opinion said he would build whatever I want but saw no reason not to do the 3.40 stroke 363 because torque makes people happy and why not be as happy as you can be, "paraphrased" I hate the 70+lb weight penalty that the Dart block brings but it is what it is unless I win the lottery and go aluminum. Woody's short blocks are $5200 but I probably have double that in my current turd. The only thing that concerns me about the big bore is the limited room between the bores and potential head gasket failure.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I say 363, no replacement for displacement, and the 363 costs the same as a 331 or 347. There is a benefit to the big bore of unshrouding the valves that helps make power. I haven’t heard that about big bore leading to head gasket issues. And Woody is awesome. Add the bonus of a payment plan you can spread the hit out over the 8 month wait.

Rusty

·
Registered
990 Posts
363's have become the craze...im old and stupid....what is that?....a stroked/bored 351? Doesn't the higher deck cause havoc with header/tower clearances on the 65/66 and getting a good set of headers to fit?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Go big or go home.....you know you want it...and then there are those Porsche guys you are gonna see again.... :)
make us proud!!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
363's have become the craze...im old and stupid....what is that?....a stroked/bored 351? Doesn't the higher deck cause havoc with header/tower clearances on the 65/66 and getting a good set of headers to fit?
4.125 bore 3.4 stroke 8.2” deck height SBF. Externally the same dimensions as a 289/302.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The only thing that concerns me about the big bore is the limited room between the bores and potential head gasket failure.
If you think you're going to be trading one problem for another, then just fix what you have.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No external differences and I can still use my small TW 170 heads and mild-ish cam and have a ton more torque coming out a lower speed corner. The 70+lbs is concerning after all my efforts and money to lighten up the front of the car. Putting the battery out back will help.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you think you're going to be trading one problem for another, then just fix what you have.
What I have is apparently unfixable for any length of time.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Nail, I voted for the 363, but am now thinking better of it----the big engine is great, BUT, my guess is that you already have plenty of power, and one of the erlier posts you were looking for more safe rpms, so how about a 321 ? By my math, thats a normal 302 crank, the Dart 4.125 bore, and you'd have a short stroke screamer ! Whatcha think ? LSG

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,578 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that extra power AND extra weight on the front is going to introduce some handling issues you’ll have to sort out.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nail, I voted for the 363, but am now thinking better of it----the big engine is great, BUT, my guess is that you already have plenty of power, and one of the erlier posts you were looking for more safe rpms, so how about a 321 ? By my math, thats a normal 302 crank, the Dart 4.125 bore, and you'd have a short stroke screamer ! Whatcha think ? LSG
With low end torque I won't need a screamer though Woody says you can easily do 7000+ with a 3.40 stroke and hydro lifters. It's all the same price regardless of size and the big bore block is slightly lighter than the standard bore.

Only thing I can think of is that extra power AND extra weight on the front is going to introduce some handling issues you’ll have to sort out.
Yep! It's like putting iron heads and intake back on. The extra power may not be that useable other than more smoke without crazy big tires and flares.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Nailbender,

If I were spending your money, I would go 363 with an aluminum block. Best of both worlds!!

You can't take it with you!!! :)

But if I had to do it over again, I would definitely go for a 363... really no reason not to if you have the means.

-Shannon

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have one of Woody's 363 Dart blocks, they can actually go out to 366 I think. The 170 heads would be good to start with but that size of engine would prefer a 190 or 220, depending on what you want to do with it.

Shaun @StreetorTrack runs a Dart 363, but it's built by someone else, not
Woody

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why not go 460 then stroke it to a 501?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts