• Big bore 363

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Regular bore 347

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Big bore short stroke 347

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • regular bore 331

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Stop wasting your money on this endless money pit because you need to save for retirement!

Votes: 5 11.1%
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Why is that? I assume it would have steel sleeves? My tiny brain would think it would be the same...
Yes the sleeves are ductile iron BUT they are pressed into an aluminum block , not "part" of the block. Also aluminum is not a strong or rigid as an iron block in general.Another problem is compression loss as the block heats up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't mean to take us off-topic, but can someone share who "Woody" is? He's getting good press here and I'd like to add him to my notes for a future build.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I don't mean to take us off-topic, but can someone share who "Woody" is? He's getting good press here and I'd like to add him to my notes for a future build.
Not only does he build great stroker SBF’s, since it’s pretty much his only business, but he frequents www.corral.net user name “Strokeme” and answers questions and gives tech advice. He’s incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.

He also hosts his own site with tech videos and a forum that you pay a membership to. www.sbfbuilder.com Well worth a months membership to binge watch some great information.

Rusty

Reactions: 1969FB

·
Registered
271 Posts
I kinda miss sbftech…

·
rdnck1
1965 Mustang Luxury Coupe, 363, 4R70W, 9", work in progress
279 Posts
I voted 363... sending you a pm

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
As I have spent most of my vacation this week overhauling the 331 for the 7th time I look in the corner of the garage at the original 289 freshly rebuilt 0.020 "stock-ish" with only a couple of hundred miles on it and think it would be nice to build it up if only there was a competent machine shop that I could afford. The added weight of the Dart block is becoming hardener too overcome for me.
The good news is the thrust bearing on the 331 looked as new when I replaced it!

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
5,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
No, it's 70 - 75lbs over a 302 roller block according to Woody and everyone else. I believe the Dart aluminum block is not much lighter than the stock cast iron block.
When you get the 363, weigh both short blocks and let us all know the results.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
When you get the 363, weigh both short blocks and let us all know the results.

Rusty
The difference in weight is a known fact. It's 70 -75lbs wanting to go straight while I am trying to turn. It is a fact unless everybody familiar with such things is lying. It is what it is, Woody delivers a quality product at a good price. I don't need 500hp but I do need something reliable. I could drop my 302 roller block or original 289 off at Woody's shop tomorrow, I'm less than 2 hours away, with full confidence in the result. But he won't touch a stock block, no exceptions. Many have tried.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I voted for the 4.25 bore 347. I'm always torn on it, but, personally, that's what I think I would go with. 16 cubes is nothing to sneeze at but I like the idea of the big bore 347.

We may get to a point where there's no reason to ever not go with the 363. That time may be now as less and less people are messing with stock blocks and they're all the same price. Plus the rod ratio nonsense has proven to be just that.

Why has the 331 proven to be unreliable? Just bad luck?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The difference in weight is a known fact. It's 70 -75lbs wanting to go straight while I am trying to turn. It is a fact unless everybody familiar with such things is lying. It is what it is, Woody delivers a quality product at a good price. I don't need 500hp but I do need something reliable. I could drop my 302 roller block or original 289 off at Woody's shop tomorrow, I'm less than 2 hours away, with full confidence in the result. But he won't touch a stock block, no exceptions. Many have tried.
I was one of the lucky ones. My long block 347 came from Woody. It was right before he stopped working with the stock blocks. I have to say, he does great work. My engine has performed flawlessly (at least the mechanical parts :)) and without one hiccup.

-Shannon

41 - 60 of 85 Posts