Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after my shenanigans with a new oil pan last weekend, I have in the process managed to verify that the 289 engine block in my car is probably the original one (the date code is a couple months before the build date of my car). Given that, I'd like to verify that the various codes on the heads under the valve covers are what I think they are.

On the driver's side head, toward the front, there's a circular pattern with the number "9753" around the circle. Not sure what this means.

Slightly farther back, I have a "289" (which is of course is correct for this engine /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).

Approximately in the middle, I have the characters "WF".

Farther toward the back, I have "7L29", which looks like a date code to me. Since the engine block date code is 6ET11 (May 11th, 1966) and the car's build date was on or around July 29th, 1966, this would indicate that these are probably not the original heads.

I'm not particularly perterbed by this, as my car is far from original. I would, however, like to know if I am interpreting these numbers correctly.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I would take the date as Dec29 1967

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, 7L29 is November 29, 1967... M is December

1 - 3 of 3 Posts