Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 68 vert with 302 late modle with rollers, 030 over mild cam. Had to have engine rebuilt, long story, pressure gauge in the car reads just a shade below the H. Guy who built the engine says this is OK. Is this OK. Car runs great so no problems there, plugs look good and does not seem to be burning any oil. Tried finding something in the archives, but no luck.

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
It's probably fine......

Dont be surprised if you ever find out the stcok guages in your car are running high.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Yes, it can be too high. Once I saw a car with a spun bearing have so much oil pressure it shot the oil filter off the engine!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
If there is a problem with your oil pressure you will see the signs all over you engine. I installed a high volume pump on my mustang and my oil pressure usually stayed around 60lbs. I also thought it was on the high side but my stang ran awsome for years until I got ate up with the D.A. and thought I'd really save some cash by putting cheap gas in my stang. The detionation that resulted from that super cheap super low octane gas cost me an awsome engine. I cracked the top rings in 4 cylinders. Once the compresion started leaking past the rings the oil started coming out of the dipstick tube and everywhere else.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I believe that the oil leak you described may have been from blow by not the oil pressure

·
Registered
846 Posts
If it were me I'd put a test guage on it to see what the pressure was.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The biggest thing is pumping all the oil to the top and not returning fast enough. If you are above 60, you could think of running 10w30, if you have the pressure, it would return quicker

·
4,133 Posts
I have a stock HP 289 in my Mustang. HP heads, solid lifters, 10.5 to 1 compression and so on. I have a Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge, yes the one with the plastic oil line to the gauge :: The gauge goes up to 80, and I peg it. I have over 30k on this engine with no major problems. I am however running valvoline 20w50 racing oil. I learned car stuff from my Dad, and he has always preached "Never change the oil that you are using in an engine". That is the weight and flavor of the oil. But I am rethinking that philosophy, but what weight oil should I use? fd

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The 5.SLO in Lottie with a high volume Milodon oil pump shows 50 PSI at idle and around 75 PSI at freeway speeds. Running 15W50 Mobil 1 oil...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Great link Joe, thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will hook it up to a numbered mechanical gauge and see where it stands. Also just FYI switched from standard oil to Castrol 10W30 synthetic. Tough to tell if this made a difference in the oil pressure. It ran high with the standard oil as well.

Thanks again.

Gary

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've got a 302 engine that was professionaly built by a high performance shop(Jack Merkle Racing, L.I., NY) and it also puts the needle at the high end. So far no problems, and it runs very well(fast).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts