Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Got caught up reading older postings on this site and thought I'd sign up and join the enthusiast community rather than just lurking.
One of the many things that need done to my '69 coupe is good old fashioned rust repair/panel replacement (this is where I find out how you guys/gals are with repeating suggestions ;-> )
Does anyone out there make patch panels for the lower halves of fenders behind the front wheels?
Just trying to find a more cost-effective way of performing this operation.

Greg

'69 coupe in the making

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If that's the only rust on an otherwise great fender, AND you have the metalworking skills to patch panel it this is what I would recomend:

Find somebody else, (a wrecking yard, a private party etc.) that has a wrecked fender and cut the patch from that. The original ford parts are much better quality then the replacements.

That being said, If there is any question about any of the above, just replace the fender. Try to find a Ford part if possibe, even if it needs minor repair.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I replaced this as well as the inner fender brace on my 67 Coupe. I can say that it was a challenge. It took me about 15 hours a side. I don't know your level of skill with respect to sheet metal work. If you have none I wouldn't try this. Even paying someone to do it is not cost effective....it's cheaper to buy a good replacement fender. Anyway if you want to try it I think I have the procedure I used documented so I could send it to you. My repair turned out pretty good considering. I only had some problems with some warping so it will have a bit more bondo than I would have preferred. Oh well....
I think I have some pics I could email you too. Just let me know if you want the info.

Adrien.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! This sounds a little too labour intensive for me (considering my sheetmetal experience is minimal at best). Too many other things that I should spend my time on; thanks for the advice,

Greg

'69 coupe in the making

1 - 4 of 4 Posts