Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 68 is coming up on paint soon...currently Ford Laser Red...

This time around I want a true Candy Apple Red...silver/gold base, candy red, clear.

Anyone have experience or knowledge, guidance with this?

I was told it's illegal to spray Laquer so most shops (MAACO) don't...I live In NJ...

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
From what I understand, Candy is a real bear to do any touch up on if you get a scratch. I could be wrong but from what I've heard it's not too great for a daily/occasional driver.
Stan

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I understand, Candy is a real bear to do any touch up on if you get a scratch. I could be wrong but from what I've heard it's not too great for a daily/occasional driver.
Stan
I think I read that somewhere too.. if not here then on another auto forums...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea...that's not really a deal breaker for me...just trying to find someone who'll paint it for cheap...seems like it's a southern/western thing....

If I dont do Candy...I might go with a deep single stage black...I hear that single stage is great for black because you dont get that clearcoat swirl...and you just have to buff to get that deep shine.

I'd love to paint my own car but I'd need all the equipment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a twenty year painter and currently a technical rep. for a paint company I can tell you I would never paint my car a true candy apple red. Way beyond how difficult they are to repair, in fact nearly impossible. They are even harder to paint. If the silver/gold base has any blotches in it, they will all show through when done. Any striping with the silver/gold base, and it will show through. When doing the candy, any spots where you double coat, it will appear darker then the rest. When spraying the car you have to walk the sides. If you spray one panel at a time you will have dark stripes where you overlapped.

Finding someone to give you a nice job for cheap is going to be a tall order. I do quite a bit of side work, and if someone wants me to paint something candy apple red, I charge them extra. It is that hard.

Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Boss man...I believe you...does seem way more intricate of a job...and that doesnt come cheap. Ive looked at some factory colors...and so far new 2010-2011 Ford Red Candy Metallic is pretty much the closest I've seen but still doesnt hold a candle to true candy.

You know whats funny...my ex gf's nails...were this awesome single stage deep candy apple red...sparkled and all with the little flakes....and im thinking...why cant they make that paint for automobiles!?!

hahaha

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the difference between factory 3 stage colors like ford "red candy metallic" and "laser red metallic" AND a traditional candy paint job?

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Are you going to have a body shop do the work? If you are, ask them about the differences. I think you'll find that 2 stage is the way to go.
Stan

·
Registered
16 Posts
The factory three stage reds are using a base coat made up of different tints to get the ground color they need. Then the top pearl coat. In most three stage paints the top layer is just a pearl mixed in with clear basecoat for the effect. The lazer red uses a tinted clear some what similar to a candy. Their are differences obviously. If I remember correctly the lazer red uses a mauve, or rusty colored ground color, then the tinted mid coat. In a true candy red the base is the heavy metallic, then the candy, which (in the case of PPG) is a dye. Put all that together and you have one difficult paint job.

Nothing wrong with a nice base/clear paint job. I have a custom mixed formula for base/clear that I have actually had people argue with me that it was a true candy. See in the picture below. It is a modified factory color I came up with.

Not my Camaro. This is a car I did all the body and paint work on back in 2002.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea Boss man...that looks great. Kinda looks similar to a Corvette color I was looking at....very sharp. So that Camaro is a 2 stage or 3 stage?

·
Registered
537 Posts
candy can be pain in the ***** but it looks awesome when done right. if you like my uncle owns a body shop in nj, grew up working there. my father is the manager. its in Island Heights right next to toms river. Autobody Craftsmen. uncle is Dan my father is Joe. 732 270 8099. if u like i can send u pics of cars the have done.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
My '95 is over due for a laser red paint job since it is a nice strawberry pink right now. PPG paint alone, not including clear, is a grand. Looking into Prospray for $650.00
So in my opinion, cheap and candy don't belong in the same thread! Heck, even cheap and red don't go together.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't let them scare you, although its difficult it's not impossible even at home. I went with 2004 Caddy XLR crimson red. It's a 3 stage paint, PPG DBC followed by DBU2002. Like others have mentioned how you apply it is critical, with the mid coat you have to start at one end of the car and paint until you reach the other without releasing the trigger...then back. Just need to make sure your work area is clear and you don't trip over the hose, if you stop you will see it. The other coats is pretty much the same as doing a bc/cc.

You need to shoot test panels to find the color you like, we found 4 coats of mid gave us the deep red we were looking for. The paint changes color depending on lighting and the angle you view from, to make sure you hang the test panel and view it the way you will see the car.

PPG also sells this color in bc/cc but you don't get the same effects you do with the tri-coat. I used bc/cc in the interior just because of the difficulty I would have shooting the mid in tight spaces.

If I had to do it over I would shoot the tri-coat again in a heartbeat. The color and depth of the paint is nothing short of amazing. Although I've shot a few small boats with bc/cc this is my first attempt at shooting a car and my first time using a tri-coat paint. Take your time and although its difficult it's not impossible. I'm not looking forward to that first scratch, maybe then I'll change my mind :)

My bill from PPG was just over $2K. I shot this in my NJ garage, took about 12 hours to complete including masking for the stripes. After 4 coats of clear I sanded then sprayed another 3 of clear. Just needs a quick buff and it will be done.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
just trying to find someone who'll paint it for cheap
....then you dont want a true candy paint job! You will get what you pay for. My mom had a 71 vette that she had painted candy apple red. She "shopped around" for a good deal, and she found a good price (she chose the cheapest estimate). And when she got it back, it looked like it.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I agree with the issues of paint matching with a daily driver, an option...check out House of Color paints.....

They have a line (IIRR) that does deliver candy & pearl finishes but does not require the multi-layer paint application. Their paint quality is excellent (as good as PPG), they have been in buisnes for 30+ years and they have local retailers (typically auto paint supply stores).

I would also say that as compared to a "real" candy/pearl paint job, if put side by side yes to can tell a difference but it is minimal. In a stand alone situation, 99% of the people would not know the difference and it is much easier to repair/color match.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mr. Velocity...That looks great man! Love that tri-stage....right now I have a tri stage laser red on her...Where in Jersey are you?

My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to send me pics of their work. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts