Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing a V-8 swap in my car to a 302. I also want a T-5 transmission. I was looking at prices...and looking at other things and thinking about headaches of tracking down miscellanous parts.

What if I can find a good running 1989 Mustang 5.0, manual tranny for $1500-2000? Is it worth it for cannabalizing parts? It seems an easier way to find a good running engine and transmission and a good way to get some of the other parts that may be needed. SHould I look along this route?

I was thinking of just selling or scrapping the body after I was done with it.

Slade

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You probably will be better off getting the whole car. You can part the rest on the auction sites and probably come out close to even...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
An entire donor 5.0 would work well....you need a flywheel/coupling (clutch or torque converter)/tranny combo that works with the late balance

I'd use a 91-95 5.0...it'd already have the mass air injection setup...the 89 should be the speed density system that doesn't like mods

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Big Jim,
IIRC from your earlier post, you have an I-6 correct?

There are a number of issues concerning suspension, brakes and rear end that will not be solved by the '89. Do a search here. Someone, I think, has has an extensive web site devoted to this topic.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have and I-6 right now. I know there are some parts I would still have to go out and buy, like rear end, beefier suspension and steering, and some other stuff. My main concern was the engine/tranny and parts related to them. I'll do a search for that web site.

Slade

·
Registered
967 Posts
Actually the california 5.0's got the mass air setup in 1988 with the rest of the country getting mass air in 1989.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts