Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced everything and the slop is definitely in the box. I could just buy a rebuilt power unit, but I have thought about converting to manual. I have a 65 fstbk with a 289. Has anyone done this conversion? Do you get a more responsive feel? If you guys think I should do it, should I go with a rebuilt manual box or buy a new flaming river? Sorry this post is so long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Even if you convert to manual, I'd recommend staying with a power steering box. You'd get less road feal with the manual steering box. I have a power steering box in my manual '66. Tight parking spaces and very slow turns will give you a bit of a work out, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

On my son's '65 project we're converting it from manual to power steering. We will be swapping out the manual box for the PS this weekend (if all goes well). I have no history on the MS box, nor do I know what kind of shape it's in (car is a basket case), but I'd give it to whomever wants/needs it ... they'd just have to pay for shipping.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Flaming River will be a noticeable improvement, and an expensive one. Concur with Johnpro, stay with a PS box whether you keep the power assist or chuck it. It's hell in a parking lot but better handling.
Have you replaced anything in the box or tried adjusting it? Mine was sloppy too until I rebuilt the box and got the PS working again.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I vote keeping the PS box also. It usually has less wear than a manual box due to the power assist it worked with. In parking and slow speed turns it's not bad. I had the Shelby Pitman and idler arms and a 13" steering wheel and it only took two weeks for my arms to adapt.

I will keep my p/s box and installed Shelby quick steering kit. I will probably use the stock 16" steering wheel this time. If you plan on rebuilding it, Autoxsteve has found the appropriate grease to pack it with. You'll have to do a search by user name to find it - I forget the grease type.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts