Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a little bit ago I posted a question about how to install the reverse lamps in a 65 coupe. I was told to take off the scuff plates, which I did, but I think I only see the taillight wires. The wires for the reverse lights run up through the wheel wells, does anyone have a clue how I should install these new ones?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
You need to have a tail light harness that includes wiring for reverse lamps.

There should be a pig tail (Single pin wire) hanging loose near each of the tail lights inside the trunk, which is where you need to plug in the reverse lights after they are run through the hole in the trunk drop.

If you do not have a tail light wiring harness that includes reverse lights, there won't be any pigtail back there. Nor will there be a connection at the front of the harness under the dash to connect the switch wire to.

Ken

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going through the same exercise. First I bought new lights and housings (~50 bucks). Then I discovered my harness wasn't set up for backup lights. So I bought a new harness from Dallas Mustang (~75 bucks). Then I discovered I didn't have a switch on my tranmission (another 50 bucks and backordered). That's where I am now, I'm in too deep to stop :p

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am about to go through this same process and I am beginning to think that the reason my backup lights were never hooked up to the wiring is because I need a new wiring harness and 4 speed switch. PO's suck sometimes. Oh well, what's another $125 and some blood and sweat? :(

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
12 volts for back up lights originates with the radio harness. Look for a three-way female connector near the radio. The radio draws its power from this same point.

From this connector, black-red wire folds back into the harness and goes to the back up lights switch. From the back up lights switch it goes back into the harness, down the side of the car body and into the trunk area where it connects to both back up light assemblies.

Yes, its possible you don't have this wiring in your car. Its not hard to install it however but it takes some time since you have to figure out what you have and don't have then make up the difference.

Basically its like this:

Radio connector 12 volts fused >------> Backup lights switch >--------> +Back up lights- >-------ground stud.

Wire (>------>) is black-red tracer in the factory harness except for the last segment which is black wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts