Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased a 70 mach 428cj 4spd car and trying to verify the engine to be original but cant find the vin# on the block behind and under the left cylinder head,also no real casting # like i had on a 66 428 in a fairlane, any help would be appreciated
thanks guy

·
Registered
850 Posts
There are more 428 CJ blocks without casting numbers than with. As a matter of fact more like 20 without to one with.The partial vin on a 428 CJ is usually found on the rear of the drivers side cylinder head. If the heads were ever off, it could be on the front of the passenger side cylinder head due to the heads being switched around.Go here for some information on component information.

G

·
0 Posts
All the partial vins I have seen are stamped into the block not the heads. Drivers side rear just below the deck.

·
Registered
850 Posts
That may be true for 1969 cars, but I have two unrestored 1970 cars that have the numbers on the heads. I delivered a 1970 Mach 428 to a friend of mine last year and the number was on the head. My 1969 SCJ car is not numbers matching so I wouldn't know about it .It may depend on the factory, assy. line workers or whatever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts