Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '67 convertible that's been sitting for several years. It started right up when I put a battery and some gas in it, but the right front brake is stuck and the wheel won't turn. I jacked it up and tried to get the drum off with no sucess. Does any body got a good way to do this with out destroying everything?
Thanks,
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, be sure and back the adjuster all the way out, more than likely it is pressing the shoes onto the drum.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would try taping with a hammer all the way around the drum. If it the shoes stuck it may break loose.

Were you able to get the outer bearing out?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
When the pad has become one with the drum, the three pound hammer becomes your only option. A short chunk of 2X4 and some attitude will go a long way. Practice this phrase: I SAID -(whack)- GET OFF!!! Repeat as necessary. See a doctor if condition persists. Not available in most areas, many restrictions apply.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You might try removing the rubber adjuster plug in the back and flooding the inside of the drum with a much penetrating oil as you can get in. Try to get as much as you can over the whole of the interior. Then rap it gently with a hammer a few times all around the outside of the drum. Keep doing this for awile and eventually the drum will turn. After that, you should be able to get it off. I had an old 54 Dodge and you used a wheel puller to take those drums off if they got sticky. You might still be able to locate something like that. Good luck, Mark

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i'de probably try to jar the car by putting it in drive and reverse to break the drum free. Once you get it to turn again then drive the car a mile either riding the brake and/or jamming on the brakes. This will wear down the rust the inside of the brake. Then once you've done that then try removing the drum. It just seems to be far less work using the engine and the weight of your car rather than trying to use a BFH.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would first suggest working the brake pedal a few times the I would suggest backing off the self-adjuster like the others have mentioned. Also, the front drums aren't quite the same as the rears. You need to remove the wheel bearing under the dust cap before you can remove the front drum.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In a similar situation, I fixed it by heating the drum with a blow torch and alternating pounding on the drum with two hammers, one on each side.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but did you remove the grease cap, cotterpin, lock nut, and washer. I believe that on drum brakes the spindle nut has to be removed before the drum can be taken off. If you have already done that then you might try to relieve the pressure by removing the brake line to that wheel cylinder and see if will move from there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to back the adjuster off but it was rusted in place so I sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil in through the slot, I took the bearing nut off, and beat on the drum with a 3 lb. hammer. The drum does wiggle a little bit now. I'm going to run down the block and see if I can get hold of a big wheel puller and give that a try. I hate using hammers on things except as a last resort.
Thanks for all you help. I'll let you know how it progresses.
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it off! Kept telling it to get off, and used an 8 pound hammer, the 3 pounder just didn't cut it. I wasn't able to come up with a big enough puller so I pulled out the BIG hammer.
Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts