Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Why not ./forums/images/icons/wink.gif?

Now I've been thinking about this. If one was to have minor leaks in the cowel area , why couldn't some sort of rust converter be poured down there and then some sort of sealent that would seal the holes .

If water can find its way in why couldn't stuff like that ???

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The large aggregate tends to get caught in the louvers. Try a flowable grout instead./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
NO.

This is your fresh air vent for the car. It works the fresh air vent on the drivers side and the heater inlet on the pasenger side.

NO.

If you fill the vent area with a material like concrete or foam you will trap water. It will rust out faster. I doubt you will get a decent water proof seal anyway.

If you really want to ignore the problem, just get one of those clear plastic cowl covers. Its easier, reasonably attractive, and reversable.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight the dash area can handle and you'd have a 500 pound brick land in your lap if you got into an accident.

You might want to try that spray foam they use to ship electronic gear./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Liquify about 8 gallons of bondo material. Pour through the vent. Fill to the top of he vent, then smooth with a float. Let dry. Repaint. No leak, no fresh air flow.

Actually, the cowl covers work pretty well and are cheap. You can leave it off most of the time for fresh air and put in place quickly if bad weather threatens.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Your idea isnt new.
There was a thread recently, with a similar idea. Concrete was mentioned too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=435925&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

I agree with the others. Its not a good idea.
All other (good) reasons aside, concrete and foam trap water, as someone alredy mentioned.
So basically your cowl would become a huge sponge and corrosion would increase... .

If I had to pour something into the cowl, to seal it, it would be some epoxy coating or something similar.
This would seal everything, and it dosent trap water... .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There was a long thread on this yesterday when someone used expanding form in the cowl. The consensus was that it is a bad idea. Of course we can't stop you, but I would highly recommend that you go ahead and fix it right. Cut out the rusted area and replace it with new metal.

You know your a red neck if.... you want to use concrete to fix a leak in your car:) LOL

·
Registered
933 Posts
Concrete would be a bad idea IMO. Someone already mentioned epoxy. A liquid latex would also be a good candidate. However, anything that you use will probably be a temporary fix at best. Unfortunately the best cure is to split the cowl and repair.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Do it right the first time, just fix it the right way. By the time you mess around with the fillers, you could have done it the right way, it only takes a couple of hours, and then it'll be painted inside and sealed properly, no more worries.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...the back of my car does sit a bit low despite new leaf springs so maybe 500 lbs in the cowl would balance it out?

Because of this I don't think it'd be necessary to add equal amounts in the trunk. Besides I've a lot of tools in there!

Well I do have a case of medical grade silicone. Should I pour the case in there....?

Maybe I've got too much time on my hands with these posts...couldn't stop laughing about a post a few days ago. Look guys, I didn't even have a beer! Really!

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
sure go right ahead..and while your at it..might as well fill the trunk with concrete..once that stuff hardens..it should keep the fuel tank safe in a rearender..*LOL*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts