Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just weird to me. I can unlock my doors with the key, but I can't lock them. It's like the key doesn't fit if I try to turn it that way. The doors will lock by pressing the button down, but when I close the door, they unlock, so that doesn't help. If I press the button while turning the key, it makes no difference. The door will lock, but the key doesn't turn any further. Both doors are the same. Key also unlocks the trunk just fine.
Locks are new, rest of mechanism is not.

Thanks,

TGV

·
Premium Member
5,984 Posts
You should be able to lock it with the key.

I also believe the way to lock with without the key is to push the button down. Then press and hold the button you normally use to open the door while closing the door. This keeps you from locking the door accidentially.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Who installed the new locks? It sounds like the lock rods are binding when you attempt to lock the door using the key. If I remember correctly, it is possible to install the little arm on the back of the lock 180 degrees off so that it is pointing in the wrong direction. If this has happened, the angle of the rod might be causing the bind. I'm only guessing here.

In the image below, I'm talking about the arm labeled 21970:
Product Handwriting Font Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
492 Posts
I don't know about the newer cars but up through 66 you can only lock the Mustang doors with the key or from the inside. You can't lock your key in the car. The back doors of the 66 Fairlaine would lock by pressing the lock down and holding in the button but not the front.The only way to lock your keys in the Fairlaine was to open the back door and reach in to lock the front door then lock the back door. I liked that. With the 69 Camaro I had, the doors would lock by holding in the door button. I never locked my keys in the car but only because I made a habit of using the key to lock it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
On my '68, you can lock the door with it open then if you simply close the door the lock will pop back up; however, if you hold the outside button in while you close the door the lock will stay down. So this means a person could lock the keys inside the car if they made a habit of locking the door this way.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Grande 2nd owner
66 Posts
On my '68, you can lock the door with it open then if you simply close the door the lock will pop back up; however, if you hold the outside button in while you close the door the lock will stay down. So this means a person could lock the keys inside the car if they made a habit of locking the door this way.
Same for my 69, always was this way.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
492 Posts
On the 66, even if you hold in the button the lock will pop back up. That's why I said you can't lock the keys in side a 66 Mustang.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the questions:
It's a -66. I tried holding the button in, and that doesn't work, which I guess is as it should.
I'm the one who installed it all, so the probability of something being put in wrong is high. I did have the mechanism out of the doors and cleaned and greased on both sides, so I don't think it's just grubby.
Haven't had a chance to look inside the door yet, but am I reading the picture above correctly that 21970 should be pointing forward in the door?
Teeth on key are pointing down. Looking at Rufus' image, that's wrong, isn't it?

I was hoping to get some time to work on this this weekend, but that didn't happen. I will update when I do.

Thanks,

TGV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts