Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tune my 2v on my cleveland to work very well with my engine. Its being replaced soon, but I still want to get it running good for now.
The thing Is, I can get it to bog at low rpm and work good at high rpm, or I can get good low rpm power, and run out of air at higher rpm.
Its a holley 300 cmf 2 barrel, with mallory dual point gaped to specs, and headmans. I have set initial from 9 btdc all the way to 13. It seems it runs better with more advance but knocks pretty bad, and has the shakes. I have set the mixture screws at 2 turns out and all the way to 3 1/2 turns out. And my idle in park is about 800 and 600 in drive at idle. I guess I have a vacuum leak, but it still ran good before I screwed with it. Can anybody tell me where my idle and mixture screws should be? I do have a manual that doesnt help me much. Thanks guys. Josh
Also, When I shut off the car, Directly after when I turn it over I have to pump the gas to get it started , otherwise it takes about 10 seconds , starts and dies. Hope this will help diagnose my problem.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
There are several problems. To begin with, the carb is way too small for the cid. You have to remember, 2V's are rated different than 4V's. To compare cfm rating, you must multiply the 2V by 1.4. The second item is the power valve in the 300 cfm units are 30cc (IIRR), which is too small and will create a severe stumble or bog. To get rid of that, purchase a 50cc power valve, it will work well and is used on all 500 cfm 2V and all 4V carbs. It will likely never have a good top end, but that should make the car very drivable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Im going with a 4v setup soon anyway, but I just figured since these engines came with 2 barrels they should work well with them if in good tune. I guess not though. I'll keep hammering away at it for kicks though.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts