Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a newly rebuilt c4 in my 71 mustang with only about 6000 miles or so...and it's been making a really high pitched hum lately. It's been getting worse, i think. It'll only do it when the engine/trans is hot and at idle and the trans is in drive...if i throw it in neutral or park, the annoying hum will stop...SOMETIMES it keeps going, but usually it stops. This is soo embarrasing when i take girls out on dates and when i stop at a red light, i can't hear my engine rumble cause of the noise(i slyly throw it in neutral usually). I'm pretty sure it's not lack of trans fluid b/c i checked it and the trans still shifts through gears quickly and doesn't stall or take a while to change gears. Any ideas? Could it be possibly trans fluid lacking (that's what i want it to be!)? quite honestly, i don't really know the first thing about transmissions or where i would put the trans fluid,
chaz

·
Registered
141 Posts
Who rebuilt the c-4. Take it back!! If it was you..good luck. It might be a transmission mount and not the c-4 at all. Again ..Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My AOD in a 83 F150 did that and later I found out that it is the fluid passing through a valve body valve. There was a Ford shop fix for it but when my truck was new and under warranty the fix was not yet known. It had something to do with spring tension on a valve spool IIRC. Take it back to whoever overhauled it for you. John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts