Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How thorough are they? What do they check? What things hurt the cars value? I mean... so I need new brake shoes, is this going to hurt the value? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Interested for insurance purposes.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Basically, they look at the overall condtion visually and mechanically of the car. Show them any reciepts you have and any service logs/records. Typcially on a just finished ground up rebuild with receipts, there will only be very minimal mechanical inspection- they will feel the brakes, ask you to start the car, check that everything functions, window cranks, lights, etc. With regards to the brakes, you will likely be asked to take them for a drive in the car. If the brakes are only worn but still operate safely it's a non-issue. If the brakes ain't safe, get em fixed before the appraisal otherwise, there will be a deduction for the guestimated repair. Look at it this way, its like taking your car to a dealer for a trade in...and they tell you what you're gonna get....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Actually, from what I have found, most "appraisers" do not do a lot of research or anything. Many do not even drive the cars. Appraisals are only good for insurance purposes, and I guess they make the owner feel good. From what I have seen they have little bearing on the true market value for a particular car. Usually very inflated, but not a real estimate of market value.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Shop around. If you find 5 different appraisers, you'll get 5 different appraisals. You want some body that is familiar with the car they are appraising.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts