Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the 1965 coupe back. Gearing up for the body work to get ready for paint. We had the car stripped down and sent off to have work done on the 1/4s. The two rear quarters were replaced, cleaned up and primed. I will do some light sanding to get the surface rust off the other areas as the car sat around for awhile. I am hoping I have the next set of steps correct based on various videos, readings and discussions with other car owners.

I am looking to:

1. finish the front fender & passenger door which had several small dings. Most look like it can be hammered and dollied based on the location of the damage. I was fortunate there was no other rust issues on the car, other than repairing the battery tray apron.

2. Then get all the gaps lined up.

3. After I want to put on a direct to metal epoxy primer for all exterior areas that have not been primed as part of the rear quarter work.

4. I was going to spray on some polyester filler (evercoat G2), guide coat, sand, and repeat as needed.

5. I was then going to apply a 2k ceramic primer, sand as needed, and give it to my painter.

Are there any inherent issues with the process or products being used?

Bob
will upload some pics shortly.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Check with your painter, some will not honor any warranty for paint if they have to paint over someone else's work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure he would make any final repairs or clean up he was not happy with. Just trying to keep his labor costs down.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,294 Posts
I figure he would make any final repairs or clean up he was not happy with. Just trying to keep his labor costs down.
But he can't warranty the work you've done or anything that goes over your work. I'd call him and find out if he has any issues with what you're planning.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I do all the metal work, but leave the final body filler and paint to my painter. He, along with most other places, will be more than willing to paint a prepped car, but they'll sometimes charge extra, and almost always not give any kind of warranty whatsoever. If they do all the prep and paint, then they'll stand behind it. Sometimes saving a little bit of dough is worse than spending just a bit more....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've run into plenty of painters that won't touch a prepped car. Fortunately there are many others that will work with you. After sandblasting and epoxy priming my shell I talked it over with my painter. I told him the primers and sealer I was using and he said they were good to go. I did the vast majority of primer and sanding. He did quite a bit of finish work before sealing it then basecoat clear coat. It turned out fantastic. I would always consult with your painter before spraying.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was so antsy to get going on the car, I guess I skipped an important step. Thank you for the clarity. Will finish up the metal work and review the car and options with him.

thank you again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts