Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than that, the throttle response is good, and it runs fine while cruising.

The fuel/air mix on the 1406 should be good. The plugs were changed and gapped at .045 (has pertronix and flamethrower coil) a few weeks ago (which caused idle to be a little more uneven). The distributor was changed 2 weeks ago by mechanic, which made the idle and throttle response smoother.

Could this be a timing issue, plug gap, or maybe even the mechanic didn't gap the pertronix right? I've read that initial timing should be at 6 degrees on a stock 351c, but I don't have access to a timing light.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing...

If I press down on the accelerator fast, let go, press down again fast, and let go, the car will stall half the time. Is this normal? This happens when the car is either stopped, or moving when I'm not on the brake.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. The timing was off just a tiny bit. I don't know which way, because my husband made the adjustment while I was doing something else. Runs great now though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Could be the accelerator pump not putting in enough gas. Does your carb have vacuum or mechanical secondaries and when do the secondaries open (RPM)?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I agree with Russ. It sounds like a accelerator pump problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The carb has vaccuum secondaries. It's an Edelbrock 600cfm (#1406) and it's only about 3 months old. I have no clue when the secondaries open up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts