Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, my 65 coupe is getting booted to the great outdoors. Well, my side yard. I've been mildly researching car covers and found a great one at CJ - as it turns out, they send the order to the MFG and it takes 3/6 weeks. Whereas, I need one NOW. Curious if you have an opinion? I searched the site and nothing recent came up.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I used a Cover craft Noah when mine had to be outside. Washed only with a cup of Fantastik for detergent in an industrial size washer when it really needed it. Lasted for years.

Reactions: amccue

·
Registered
278 Posts
I spent a lot of money on a Noah and it just fell apart in less than a year, plus rabbits ate the front! I got a great one from carcovers.com and it's on its 3rd year with no problem.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep, myfirstcar66, and of course I couldn't shoot at them - they were conveniently under Diane! 🐰🐰

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent a lot of money on a Noah and it just fell apart in less than a year, plus rabbits ate the front! I got a great one from carcovers.com and it's on its 3rd year with no problem.
Yes, I read up on the carcover.com - looks like a good quality cover.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
california car cover company is who I always bought my outdoor covers from... and they lasted... direct sun is a killer on the covers and IMHO, on top of the cover, get a silver tarp (they reflect heat) and secure that over the cover.... no scratching as the paint is protected, the cover is protected from dust/dirt as well. As an interum, assuming no rain or snow is an immediate threat, cotton padding covered with the silver tarps tied down securely will work as a temp basis

·
Vendor
3,862 Posts
Whatever you order, make sure that sucker is in-stock... Outdoor/breathable cover material is made from basically the same ingredients that are used for disposable face masks. So there's a material-shortage in the cover industry.

I've always found the old Evolution-4 material to be pretty solid for outdoor use. We still have some of those left in-stock.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
I'd just like to find a cover for a Dodge WC51. It almost wouldn't matter what the material was.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I never had any luck with covers. been though a lot of them in 40 yrs.
they dont keep the car clean. not a bit. even if they fit perfect in time it will stretch out and the wind can wreck havoc on your painted edges flopping around.
if the wind is strong enough youll find it across the street. even if you can tie it down some of the sheet metal will still be exposed on a good windy day
Can also do a job on your chrome if they dont breathe right

·
Vendor
3,862 Posts
I never had any luck with covers. been though a lot of them in 40 yrs.
they dont keep the car clean. not a bit. even if they fit perfect in time it will stretch out and the wind can wreck havoc on your painted edges flopping around.
if the wind is strong enough youll find it across the street. even if you can tie it down some of the sheet metal will still be exposed on a good windy day
Can also do a job on your chrome if they dont breathe right
I've always said that, other than protection from the sun, a cover for outdoor storage is often worse than no cover at all. The latter keeps the car drier. Even with a good breathable cover, the environment under the cover is more like a terrarium than a desert.

But it also depends upon the part of the country you're in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tread carefully with a car cover if you value your paint.

A friend of mine used an outside car cover. Expensive, multi-layer, etc. It left a pattern on all the flat surfaces where the cover sat. He was lucky and was able to polish that out. Not so lucky was on the corners of various panels where the paint was worn down to the metal from movement with the wind tugging at it all the time.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I never cover my car outside as I am driving it lol. It only get covered for winter storage and summer storage this year......

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Ive never seen a cover work as advertised for long, the higher priced one just increases the anger and disappointment:LOL:
I say pick a cheap cover for under $30. Put blankets under the cover, if its going to rain get a $12 plastic cover to go over the first one and take it off to breath occasionally, especially with the day/night temp changes getting more extreme as the seasons change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts