Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think- cover or no cover? I know some people hate them because they can end up trapping dust and scratching the paint, I've seen some leave the cloth weave marks on the surface.

And if you like them, any recommendations?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got a rain-x brand cover off of ebay a like 2 years ago. It is a softer material, but it is also waterproof. Silver to reflect heat/UV. It is just now starting to break down from the elements. Not completely waterproof anymore. But it has pretty much been outside in snow, hail, sleet, etc. Can't complain. I can't comment on how it does on the paint, because my paint is piss and brittle.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Is your car going to be outside? Inside? I'd check out California Car Cover.
Stan

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I don't usually put them on my cars. Inside like said all it is is a dust cover but may help not scratching it if you accidentally bump it with something.. Try to keep all my cars under a canopy or some type of shelter if not in garage. Do have one right now on my 428 Mercury convertible--- but that is only because it is outside under a canopy and some of the local cats like to climb on it and use the top as a big hammock.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Most times my old cars are in the basement garage, and I never kept car covers on them till my wife decided her cat should also live in the basement. Now, I keep a cover on them when they're down there, but not when they're in the main floor level garage.

Minor scratches don't really much bother me anyways (cat scratches tend not to be minor). I drive the cars. They're gonna get a few dings and scratches. Though they are pretty, imo, they're machines, not art.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I use a thin poly cotton dust cover on mine while its in the garage. Its really thin, sort of like a thick bed sheet. Its really just to keep things from bumping into it and for dust. I've been using it on my car for 15 years and had no issues with it, except that it doesn't always keep all the dust out. I do also like it because it breathes well.

I don't care much for those cheap gray ones that I think are made of polypropylene. They do the job though, but just don't seem to hold up. I might use on of them if my car was parked in a car port.

I don't know much about the expensive covers.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've got one from Costco don't know if it's the one above or not. I don't think I paid that much for it. I like it nice and heavy. I drive my car quite a bit, but I cover it in the winter because it is in a 30x 44 garage where I am also restoring my GT. During warm weather I just back it out of the garage when i'm working so I don't have to be covering and removing it all the time.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have the heavy Durafin cover that NPD sells and it does not let ANY dust through. I mean none - even over a couple of months. Heavy as hell, soft liner and smells like an old army tent. But it works.

Note that it is an indoor only cover.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Buy the Costco car cover - it's cheap, it works inside or out. Your car is going to be inside. My friend uses an old sheet to cover his inside cars - even cheaper & they never scratch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a all weather fitted cover through NPD that has made it through a rough winter and crazy wind storms so far. It only cost me $89 bucks at the time. If you have mirrors with square edges be sure to wrap them in something under the cover as the edges can wear out the inner fabric in the mirror pockets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got an indoor, slight outdoor use car cover from California Car Cover, a must if you have kids in the house!
I couldn't be happier with the quality!

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 on the California Car Cover, I think mine is a 'Noah'. Soft. Mostly for indoor use. I keep the car clean and dust it before I put it on so I don't trap anything.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
how are we dealing with the antenna?
Mine came with reinforcement cloth to put around the hole. It works fine and actually once I put the cover through the hole I can line up the cover without it slipping off the car.
Stan

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Most any cover you get should come with extra patch for piercing hole for antenna, should tell you on outside of packaging.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OMG thanks for reminding me.. that too is something I wanna know what is best one to get for my 67? I am going to get the body and paint done before summer so like wana keep the rain and wind and sun off of it.. so like? This is a great post thanks for posting it:)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
OMG thanks for reminding me.. that too is something I wanna know what is best one to get for my 67? I am going to get the body and paint done before summer so like wana keep the rain and wind and sun off of it.. so like? This is a great post thanks for posting it:)
If the garage has a newer car in it, get it out of the way. LOL...

Is that picture in your signature where you park it? It looks like you could put a car port there.

If it has to sit outside, get a cowl cover for it to keep out leaves and other debris and water.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts