Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been having a problem w/ my 289 4bbl w/ points. It has been stalling a lot. I inspected the points and found them to be somewhat worn so I replaced them w/ brand new ones. Upon trying to restart the car, I found that it would crank but it just wouldn't start. I checked my ignition coil wire and ignition (which was an aftermarket Jacob's electronics module) and found that there was no spark at the end of the wire (when cranking). Well, about 10 minutes later, I tried again and found there was a spark! We started the car and tried to adjust the timing but the car stalled midway through. I finally resolved that the Jacob's coil was faulty so I went back to my original "beer can" module. Tried to start, this time, it wouldn't even crank. I replaced the original coil w/ a MSD coil (p/n 8203) and I have the same result.. the engine doesn't even turn over... any ideas???

I should mention that when I turn the key to "run", there is a click coming from the solenoid (I think). Also, Jacob's tech support also agrees that their ignition module is probably broken.

Thanks in advance!
Jay

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't know if this is the problem but once when helping a friend with a tune up, I set the points, but for some reason he wanted to turn the screw to lock them down. Some where in the process, the points slipped and were not opening at all. Just couldn't get that car to start, no matter how hard we tried. Of course the problem could not have been with the points that we had just set!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You need to have good points operation, good clean connections from the points to the coil and a good condenser or you won't get a reliable spark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts