Vintage Mustang Forums banner

car getting hot!

812 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dean_T 
G
#1 ·
hey guys i got a 72 v8 302 and that things gets upo to 200 degrees pretty quick now that i got a new carb and intake but i am missing a belt its the one that goes on the air conditioner and it goes some where else im not sure where maybe the water pump is that maybe the reason why my car is gwetting hot???

#2 ·
Shouldn't be the lack of the AC belt. Check to see if the thermostat is partially stuck. Check ignition timing then check to see if the jetting/fuel mixture is right.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

#4 ·
The thermostat is located where the upper radiator hose meets the engine. Get a gasket too. The thermostats are only about $3.00. don't bother testing - just replace.

#7 ·
Also wanted to tell you that most the time the car overheats it has something to do with the radiator. They get calcified in the tubes and the coolant doesn't flow through them properly and thus cooling is a problem. If not too bad, you can get one of those heavy duty radiator flushes. Worked on mine. But if it's been bad for some time - It may need to be removed and boiled out at a Radiator shop.

I also keep a 195 degree thermostat in mine year round. Engines like the warmer temperature and the oils like it. Make sure your radiator shroud is in place - this is needed for idling air flow like at stop signs.

Sounds like you need to join a club and make friends with someone. Maybe you can help them with something and they will help you!

#10 ·
200 is too high. It should be 160 to 180 depending on the thermostat. I would suggest changing your thermostat to make sure you don't have other problems.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!

G
#11 ·
yeah, draing the radiator and the thermostat is in the the metal housing connected to ur intake manifold. take it off the manifold and put the new one in. somepeople even boil the new ones with a thermometer to make sure they work because u can get new ones that are bad. up to u.

#12 ·
The Thermostat housing is mounted to the front of the intake manifold with two bolts. You can recognize the housing because it has a big radiator hose connected to it and a small bypass hose attached to a smaller fitting on the Thermostat housing. The bypass hose goes from thermostat housing to the water pump. The tricky part if I recall correctly (IIRC) is getting the thermostat bolts off. I seem to recall one of them is hard to get at. I think if you have a 3/8" drive socket set and a combination (box end and open end) wrench set, you should be able to get the hummer off.

When installing the new thermostat, make sure it's facing the right way. It should be marked which way faces the radiator or engine. If it isn't, the copper heat sensor side faces the engine.

I hope that helps and please post more questions if you have them. VMF is a great place to learn!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.